2.0 GPA just to train as an EMT ?

Trm90

Some places seem to have all kinds of "Admission Requirments" just to be allowed to take an EMT class.... why is that?

The Hospitol I want to take it at only requires the money and a simple application....

Some places only care about taking money from folks, others screen to make sure students are capable of learning + passing the class.

You do realize a 2.0 is barely a C

Edited by island emt
  • Like 1

You have to prove a minimum level of capabilities, and I hardly think a 2.0 is unfair. Most nursing programs set a C at 80% and to get in you need above a 3.5...

And please don't get offended and run off but a 2.0 seems like a great standard, as your spelling and grammar are leaving much to be desired right now. As an EMT you write legal documents for every call, this requires an ability to spell and use proper grammar.

Edited by Kate_826
  • Like 3

No, but his lawyer will have a great time with your spelling and grammar after your patient takes you to court for some perceived wrongdoing. Many EMT classes place a minimum educational requirement because they want to make sure their students can spell "Hospital"

• Like 2

Sigh, here we go again.

Tell you what, you have so many questions about being an EMT, why don't you go to the Hospital and discuss their education program and EMS system with them. Coming in here and asking us about it is a waste of your time because you have practitioners in here from all over the world and you haven't even narrowed down what country you're asking about let alone a specific region. The answers you've already gotten here are all over the map and haven't solved anything for you, and now, when people start providing some constructive criticism you get all pouty and defensive.

That crap don't float here boy. You're obviously only about 15 or 16 years old and interested in this as a career, we get it, but if you want to be treated with respect you're going to have to earn it, because we see guys like you come and go around here all the time. The option is yours, choose to learn from the people here who are actually trying to help you and taking time from their lives to answer your questions to the best of their ability, not pick at you, or go hang out at EMTlife.com.

He's all yours Mike.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 2

Our EMS department requires an 80%, respiratory and nursing require 75%. The rest of the college follows a 90-80-70 scale. I have mixed feelings about it. One thing that does happen is that students typically take a hit to their GPA. You can have a good A-B student potentially have a dramatic fall in their GPA. This can be an issue later on when these students look at applying to other programmes where GPA can be competitive. I've know more than a few EMS and respiratory folks go onto PA school following their initial community college experiences. I'm not against high standards; however, I'm also an advocate for consistent grading schemes.