New to this and I have some questions...please and thank you

Ginny

I have a Classic II SE and it's great for lung, bowel and heart sounds, can hear them all really clearly even through clothing and with noise.

Note: Do not, under any circumstances, for fear of death at the hands of Kiwi, listen to sounds through clothes, this is pointless and lazy.

I concur, the Classic II is what I've been using for decades. It provides clear, crisp sounds while being relatively affordable. also, the addition of a cozy will help reduce extraneous noise. The cardiology scopes are more expensive for no real gain.

Have to agree, the Classic SE is very useful for training and to take into the field with you. No need to go to the high end scopes especially for all the abuse they may take. I was given one of the Cardio scopes as a gift but for field use i prefer my Classic.

Yes, the Littmann brand of stethoscope is known for its quality.

Please consider, though, that you're a student in an entry level class. A higher end, more expensive product isn't necessarily what you need at this point in time. A $20 Sprague style stethoscope will be more than adequate to get you through class and start you on your way to whatever it is you plan to do upon completion of your class.

Every single ambulance I've worked on (except the helicopter) has had a Sprague style stethoscope in the bag. I've used that style for years and have not had a problem hearing what I need to hear. Yes, I do also have a Littmann and it does offer better sound quality. From an EMT point of view, however, that difference in sound quality isn't going to make any difference for you.

Another thing to consider is that more expensive stethoscopes, like Littmanns, have a tendency to be stolen by less than scrupulous classmates and coworkers. So unless you're made of money replacing the more expensive Littmann is going to eat through your excessively meager EMT earnings pretty quickly.

Ultimately, however, the decision is yours. Littmanns are quality products, yes. So are the Spragues in their own way. Until you figure out what you're going to do with yourself, your training and your job/hobby prospects, please consider not dropping any more money than you absolutely need to until you get out of class and decide if you really like this EMS thing or not.

I started out with the classic SE however, I now have the Master Cardiology.

For most EMTs it is unnecessary to have such an expensive and high end scope, but I have hearing impairment and could only hear the pulse during bp in a silent room and breath sounds I could not hear at all.

My ambulances have Cardiology stethoscope in them and at first I was switching mine with one from there for tests, but now, I need them in class too.

I got mine on sale at allheart for like 189. Had it engraved with my name.

If I do not need it later on, I can donate it to school or daughter who is an rn student.

I have a master cardiology as well, mainly because how nice it is in general. I would not recommend such an expensive stethoscope for someone that is just starting to get into EMS.

As everyone else is saying the classic SE is probably the best one to go with. Best of luck with your education!

I have owned a Classic II S.E., Cardio III, and Master Cardio. For EMT the classic will probably be the best. They are cheap so you don't have to worry about getting it messed up or lost. The cardios are great but as an EMT you will not be able to differentiate the various clicks and murmurs they allow you to hear so its pretty much pointless. On a side note I loved how all my classmates always charted diminished lung sounds on every patient. They are not diminished you just have a cheap ass stethoscope. Unless your using an isolation stethoscope than your guess is as good as mine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.