Southern Maine EMS

Does anyone have experience with this company? I know that they lost a large contract last year due to a lack of oversight:

http://www.ems1.com/ems-education/articles/1099477-Maine-EMS-company-loses-contract-after-training-scandal/

But the end of the article seems optimistic. I am hoping to take my EMT course here, as it is more convenient in respect to its location (it is held on the University of New England campus in Biddeford), but do not want to compromise my education or the certification that I hope to gain from it.

Thank you for your replies.

• Like 1

I tried to delete this post, but I'm not sure how. I have it from another member with much experience that my concerns were groundless. Apologies.

I wouldn't move so fast if I were you. while I'm not implying in any way, shape or form (really, I'm not) that island emt or whoever contacted you was anything less than completely honest and accurate, there are a couple issues here.

Using the word of ONE person to determine the accuracy of something/if you should go there isn't always the best idea. In this case, whatever it was, SOMETHING happened. While the news article may have not been accurate and blown out of proportion (and they often are) it'd be better to do more research instead of just using one responce.

More importantly than that, basing decisions off what one person on AN ANONYMOUS INTERNET FORUM tells you is just plain silly. People can, and do, pretend to be whatever they want, and with a bit of google-fu and intelligence it's relatively easy to do. This forum is no different than others and has at least one, and propably more lunatic posers.

Again, not implying that whoever sent you a PM wasn't being truthful, just a little piece of advice.

Yes it was ME that responded to him.

I am very familiar with all the players and all the actions behind this story.

What info I passed on to him were facts, not suppositions of a news reporter or someone with a private agenda.

I know all of the players both old & new of this organization , many of them personally & professionally. also the back stories behind what transpired.

Those are the facts that I passed along to the OP along with my name . So I'm not an anonymous internet source.

Pretty easy to figure out who I am by reading my avatar.

spelling edit

Edited by island emt

not upset at all. Just giving the correct information. He asked me previously for info on his classes and I hooked him up with my connections throughout Southern Maine.

After many tears in this area, I have to go to many meetings with other service managers and chiefs. It is a small field we play in , so knowledge of whats going on in the region is pretty common knowledge among the chiefs.

You are correct in the need to verify anonymous info gotten off the web, Thats why the OP contacted me by PM.

• 2 months later...

To anyone considering a course with SMEMS, I received excellent instruction and recommend them highly. I was forced to leave due to medical issues in my family, but would have gladly stayed on if possible. Mike and Justin are great professionals with years of experience.

• Like 1

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it went for you.

Yes they are both very experienced providers and pretty decent instructors.

Hope you can get back on track and continue on in your studies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.