Helmets!

Hello there,

I have a little question about helmets.

Do you have some in your ambulances? If you do, for what risks? What are the criterion that made you choose the model you own?

Also, I like helmets as items. I'm not collecting them but since I was a kid I like those things. Had shipload of lego helmets :DSo do you have a favorite helmet?

In France, the ambulances are all equipped with the same model:

The F2 Helmet. Originally designed by CGF-Gallet those where the models that replaced the old Adrian helmets, whose design originated from WW1.

The F2 is used by almost every ambulance service in France and also Most fire dept. In fact, for outdoor fire, the fire-fighters need the lightest PPE possible due to heat and the duration of the intervention!

Beside being a good quality helmet, it bears the traditional spirit of the old adrian helmets in the subtle crest and the shape of the front sticker.

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=982599f2xtremblanc2.jpg'>mini_982599f2xtremblanc2.jpg

Basically, we have for 2 reasons:

- Protection from projectiles during public events, sport games, hostile people etc...

- Protection for intervention in a crashed car.

Now, my favorite helmet is the F1 for CGF-Gallet too! Silver of course :)

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=264558315902768.jpg'>264558315902768.jpg

This is used by the fire dept. that have big cities in their sector. City fires expose the fireman directly to the fire, at very close range. It provides a full head protection, but also a full face protection to very strong heat. In Paris for instance you have lot of old buildings with many twists and turns. Attacking the fire from inside the building can bring the fire-fighter to get a few meters from the raging fire. That is why the helmet is so complete. Yet it his heavy and very hot (but less hot than the actual fire :D ) so has to be used only when needed. This helmet is also the symbol of the acceptance of the new recruits in the fire dept. They're delivered during a very serious ceremony.

Beside being a very good helmet, I find is very stylish, mixing the old-style crest and a very modern design.

Of course no helmet ever saved the life of a reckless fireman, it remains a mere human item that cannot compete against the true forces of nature. One must always remain humble in front of danger.

• Like 1

We currently don't have helmets, however we are looking at buying some because recently it was decided that to approach an aircraft to load a patient we need head protection.

Currently we steal the helmets off the firefighters heads, I knew firefighters were good for something?!

I kid. I actually like most....some... well maybe a few of our firemen. :bonk:

I wear my helmet on every call.

What? even to little old ladies that are in their living room feeling faint?

I wonder if there have been any studies done addressing the additional weight and forces endured when wearing a helmet in a vehicle crash. I understand the concept of preventing head injuries. It would be interesting to see if what I would expect to be an increase in the number of cervical injuries from the added weight of the helmet actually happens or not.

No. I have not looked for any studies. I'm simply wondering about them at the moment.

We have two styles here in Kiwi

(1) the good old style back from the regional ambulance service days

(2) the piece of shit new ones

Old style on left, new style on right

3sczo.jpg

The majority of the the time they are used at road crashes but really are used anytime when they might be needed

Edited by Kiwiology

They are both manufactured by a company called Pacific Helmets here in New Zed

I like the old ones because they have a face shield and look a bit more normal, plus they have AMBULANCE very conspicuously marked on them which helps.

I do not know why the change but I bet the budget had something to do with it ...

I wonder if there have been any studies done addressing the additional weight and forces endured when wearing a helmet in a vehicle crash. I understand the concept of preventing head injuries. It would be interesting to see if what I would expect to be an increase in the number of cervical injuries from the added weight of the helmet actually happens or not.

No. I have not looked for any studies. I'm simply wondering about them at the moment.

Actually the NFPA did a study and the results have made their recommendation and requirement that helmets not be worn in Fire trucks while driving.

They must also be mounted in a safe mounting bracket to keep them from becoming airborne missiles in event of a crash.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.