For those of you that use them....I'm looking for some advice on what you keep in your fanny pack.

Medics: Are there any specific items you carry that you use constantly?

Medic students: Any school specific items?

I'm a medic student, and I'm about to start my vehicular shifts....so as I'm required to carry one on me, I'm looking for helpful things to put in mine.

Thanks.

You're required to carry one? They tell you to carry it but don't tell you what to put in it? That seems odd. Why tell you to carry it then? What happens if you don't carry it?

I've never carried one. Ever. In all of my years in EMS I've known only one guy, just one out of the hundreds of providers I've met or worked with, who carried one. He was also a state trooper and was required to carry his weapon at all times. That's where he carried when on the ambulance.

Good luck.

Realizing the questionable orientation of the term I used.....That's the most PC term I could use without getting crude. But, ah well.

Yes, I will be required to carry one on me. Of course, it'll be stocked with the mandatory PPE, bandaging supplies, etc. So to clarify, I was looking more for ideas of different guides, "cheat sheets", etc.

Does your agency not have a jump bag they take in on calls? Thats where all my bandaging supplies and PPE have been. I do carry a few pairs of rolled gloves in the ankle pocket of my pants, protocol book, scissors, a pen and a marker in my side pocket. Not sure what else you'd need to carry on your person vs in the bag.

I've seen a couple people with fanny packs, but they were never approved by the company. They carried items that were included in our drug box, but so they could just bring their pack instead of the big tackle box we used as a drug box, if they were feeling lazy. Also sometimes carried items our company wouldn't stock, so we "borrowed" from the hospitals. Usually had a work up kit, zofran, ASA, nitro, a few syringes, high pressure IV tubing, a pediatric pulse ox, can't think of what else. I'd be careful with carrying a pack like that though, as many of these items you shouldn't be keeping with you away from work.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, best guess is to just ask the other people at your service what they carry.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.