HAPPY NEW YEAR

craig

Was she drinking Red Bull and Vodka? I've seen that crap put more kids into seizures than I can count. I can count pretty high.

Exactly this mix was my idea, too. :)

However, noone was able to confirm, she was unknown to the folks who picked her up. "K.O. drops" or drug use were on my list, too, but not very common in the given setting (but you'll never know). All in all she had luck to end up in the home of some nice guys, sons of a friend of mine, who called 112.

In short: 18 y/o girl, unknown intake (new years party at local villages market square, multiple bars and self brought beverages), went home with some newly found friends (guys and girls) to the home of my friend for an after-party, appeared rather tired, suddenly got up from the table and dropped in front of the others without apparent cause including no visible seizures. Then was totally asleep/unconcious. Friend of mine (ex red cross member) instantly called 112. Dispatch made an "alcohol intoxication" out of this. Beside an GCS of 3 we found vitals OK and stable so far: deeply breathing at normal rate, SpO2 up to 98%, pulse 60/min, blood pressure 90/60 mmHG (small girl), glucose 120 mg/dl. No reaction to loud voice and pain, testing of falling hand hits her face, however didn't tolerate an oropharyngeal airway. Eyes closed, when opened: cross-eyed, left pupil mid-wide, right pupil small, both react to light. No smell of alcohol or smoke/dope, no puke/urine/feces. Normal ECG. We contacted her grandma by her cellphones "private home" contact number (actually first time I used this to get some info...), she stated no specific medical history, but "That already happened to her some months ago at another party...!".

From this small base I wouldn't expect alcohol to be the lone problem. Given the age, appearance and eye direction/inconsistency/reaction plus the small bit of history ("already happened") I expect a juvenile seizure maybe triggered by alcohol/lack of sleep, now in a post ictal coma. Would be typical and as well as Arctickat states, I've seen my share of exactly this chain of symptoms ending up in an epilepsy diagnosis (and a lot of them don't have "typical" seizures, just as here).

She was transported to a hospital with neurological capacity. I'll try to follow up, but may fail, since she's not from my hometown, noone really knows her and the hospital is out of my area.

Sorry to turn this in a medical thread. But, hey, in EMS you'll never know how something turns out... :D