Unwanted Baby Drop Boxes signs of Disposable Society?

DFIB

baby-hatch-225x300.jpg

I saw a TV report that was truly intriguing and after a quick internet search found that several countries have anonymous drop off boxes for mothers to drop off unwanted babies.

The Unwanted baby drop boxes in Germany are pretty neat. The drop off box opens to the outside and looks like a package size mailbox. Babyklappe video here. When the door closes a heat lamp comes on and an alarm goes off inside the hospital so the medical staff can retrieve the baby. It seems organized and humane except for the abandoning part. Similar baby collection systems have been implemented in Russia and South Korea. In the US mothers can drop babies off at hospitals, police stations and fire stations depending on the state of residence.

The UN has criticized this practice which seems odd, Isn't their philosophy "It takes a village to raise a child" as drawn from a ancient African proverb.

This brings a lot of thoughts to mind. Is this just an optimization of a practice that has been accepted worldwide for a long time? Has society become too disposable and Self-centered? Do we do the same with seniors? Is this a good alternative to abortion therefore protecting the sanctity of life? Is this a result of socialized healthcare systems?

What are your thoughts?

Edited by DFIB
  • Like 1

The problem exists because it doesn't take a license , education or training to reproduce. The unintended consequences of idiots having sex. Not much difference in the spread of AIDS in certain 3 rd world nations where they choose not to use protection and have upwards of 70% of the population infected.

They don't want the child so they were ending up in dumpsters and other places.

This at least is an attempt to stop that from happening.

Mandatory spaying and neuter programs come to mind!

I know this has been discussed here in the City before. I'd rather have a baby abandoned into a warm area, such as inside a LEO station, Fire House, EMS station, hospital, or a house of Worship, under "Safe Haven", than the exterior of the house of Worship, where they might die of exposure to the elements before being discovered.

NY State law says that a newborn may be handed over to the crews at fire houses, EMS stations, and Law Enforcement offices, where the only questions allowed are if the baby has any potentially life threatening illnesses, and possibly what the baby's name is. The previous FDNY Commissioner may have endangered many babies by ordering all FDNY Fire Fighters and EMS personnel to place anyone attempting to follow "Safe Haven" policies under arrest, but that was because he had previously headed the Bureau of Child Welfare.

Although I don't particularly like the idea of abandoning a baby, I can see how it might be better to give the baby to those who can care for it, rather than keep it and give it a horrible upbringing. And I think it's better for the baby to be handed over to a hospital or EMS rather than put in a dumpster.

• Like 1

Ah.. throwing our youth away, just beautiful. How do you break that to your child when they get older? "Sit down son, it's time to tell you where you really came from: a mail slot."

But really these are good for one thing, which is to give children a better life. No child deserves to be with such a irresponsible parent that would just drop them off in a slot. If you can't handle the child or really not ready for one gain the courage and maturity to drop it off inside a hospital with someone.