Jump bag pouch organazation

The only useless OB kit you can buy, is the ones titled "New Jersey OB Kits" sold by V.E. Ralph. A typical OB kit costs about $7 in a bag, and $11 in a box. No matter how you buy it, from a catalog or ebay, it's probably the same thing. Some get a little more pricey as they add stuff. I did a restock of all of our equipment, replaced anything that looked old. Be it gauze, OB kits, even worn boards. When I replaced the OB kits, if you have a Bound Tree Catalog on hand, they have like 9 diffierent versions, double that with the option of bag or box. I ordered the ones with Umbilical Scissors, instead of the scalpel. Just safer. So really, a $5 kit from amazon is just buying from an online bulk supplies company that uses Amazon.com as a retail outlet. It's probably no different than what anyone else has, and it's not a bad idea to keep one handy. I recommend it for rural folks.

In my over 40 years in EMS, I been called to assist with childbirth twice. The first was a 14 yo girl that had given birth in the basement of a tenement . The infant was dead the mother almost so from massive hemorrhage.

The second time was a woman in labor at the racetrack. She was in her motorhome in the camping area. She was crowning when we got there and the only assistance she needed from us was a little suction and cleaning of the infants airway, a hemostat for the cord tied off with dental floss and a nice gentle ride to the hospital.

Women have been birthing babies for thousands of years without assistance from us.

The point I'm trying to get into your head is just because you read a couple pages in a book, it doesn't make you a gynecologist.

EMR is just barely above red cross first aider in scope of knowledge.

First off remember what you are - a MFR. You are essentially a first aider allowed to use oxygen. I don't want to minimize MFR's they are important but you need to remember your place. As an EMT my place is below that of a medic.

Regarding "kits" you don't need one, simple as that. If you are working for an agency or a dept then they will either provide you a kit or will provide you with the requirements of what you need to carry. The problem with EMS is there is a lot of useless equipment out there that is overpriced just because it is EMS equipment. OB kits come to mind. How many kids are born - even today - with nothing more than bath towels rather than fancy absorbtion pads.

I will be honest, I have a "kit" that was given to me as a graduation present. It sits in my closet because I don't need to carry it. When I do carry it are the times when I go hunting or quading due to how far away from help I am. It is used to help my family and friends and has nothing fancy in it. I never ID myself as an EMT when off duty and I don't stop at accidents to help out. My "help" is in the form of grabbing my cell phone and calling 911.

Realistically, all you need is a basic over the counter first aid kit with maybe more bandages added to it.

I wasn't even aware MFR's were allowed to use OPA's and NPA's.

Wow: I was bored , so I click on the youtube video the OP posted. Severe case of whackeritus, with a case of Gallitus thrown in.

As an EMT he cannot legally have half the stuff in that bag.

Then again ,he could be from NJ where the first aid squads do pretty much whatever they please with no state oversight.

He even has the poisonous snakebite kit from wally world stocked in there.

If you need to carry something on your person or your car your service should provide it. You want me to respond off duty you provide me what I need. There is no reason for a person to have to buy their own equipment. Not talking about some awesome toy I mean tool that is not a real need for anyone but actual supplies and tools that are actually needed.

If you need to carry something on your person or your car your service should provide it. You want me to respond off duty you provide me what I need. There is no reason for a person to have to buy their own equipment. Not talking about some awesome toy I mean tool that is not a real need for anyone but actual supplies and tools that are actually needed.

Not every department can afford to pay for all the equipment. I know of several volunteer fire departments that require their members to pay for their own bunker gear. Some departments may require you to purchase your own medical kit due to budget constraints. However, they should still provide you a list of what you need to have most of which can probably be replenished at local ER's.

Not every department can afford to pay for all the equipment. I know of several volunteer fire departments that require their members to pay for their own bunker gear. Some departments may require you to purchase your own medical kit due to budget constraints. However, they should still provide you a list of what you need to have most of which can probably be replenished at local ER's.

LOL. Sure they can't afford it. They can afford it they just do not have priorities straight.

Requiring a volunteer to purchase their own PPE would be a flagrant violation of the OSHA standards and is potentially against the law.

Same goes for medical equipment.

Had someone contact me when their department required them to get the Hep series and pay for it themselves. A quick copy of the OSHA standard made short work of that.

A trauma bag... is not PPE.

Gloves, goggles, gowns, tyvek suits, respirators, dust masks, hand sanitizer, bunker gear, hard hats, leather or other gloves, boots with steel toes, et al.. is PPE.

A trauma bag... is not PPE.

Gloves, goggles, gowns, tyvek suits, respirators, dust masks, hand sanitizer, bunker gear, hard hats, leather or other gloves, boots with steel toes, et al.. is PPE.

My comment was to Mike about buying PPE.

If a service can't afford a $100.00 worth of medical equipment for it's first responders, then it shouldn't be providing the service..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.