Best EMS Stories

Julian A

I know of a place to get some stories. It's a book called Emergency Laughter written by Mike Cyra who is on this forum. It's available for less than $5 on Amazon and is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read.

I downloaded this book on my Kindle for $1.99

EDIT: Your homework is to look up the pre-eclampsia, its causes, symptoms and treatment. Investigate the difference between pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.

If you come back with the answers we might be able to provide another story. :punk:/>

Will do :)

A good story to relate: Picked up a gentleman today that needed to go to the big city hospital due to needing dialysis.

It's snowing a blizzard and the roads are barely passable. 30 minutes from here & still an hour away from the big city hospital he decides to brady out & go into asystole. Pads on, paced and his eyes open up. Then he starts yelling about us zapping him.

The good news is he was able to complain about the electrical therapy hurting him. Was touch & go for a few minutes.

Beats the hell out of the alternatives.

Edited by island emt
  • Like 1

A good story to relate: Picked up a gentleman today that needed to go to the big city hospital due to needing dialysis.

It's snowing a blizzard and the roads are barely passable. 30 minutes from here & still an hour away from the big city hospital he decides to brady out & go into asystole. Pads on, paced and his eyes open up. Then he starts yelling about us zapping him.

The good news is he was able to complain about the electrical therapy hurting him. Was touch & go for a few minutes.

Beats the hell out of the alternatives.

I've had the same thing happen. Brady, then asystole, start compressions and he starts swatting our hands off yelling that we're hurting him. We stop, he's back in asystole. Started pacing and sedated the guy. As far as I know, he's alive today. Crazy crazy thing to witness.

Yep: This was a simple general weakness dispatch:

We're familiar with him and seemed like nothing seriously out of the "Norm" for him. BG was high as he missed his dialysis scheduled for early am today due to heavy snowfall and really dangerous road conditions.

While we are slip sliding away onto the mainland and starting to head south, he got pale, grey and diaphoretic, vomited a little bile and brady'd right down to less than 10. Went asystolic and pulsless.

Put the pads on , got capture and paced him back to high 40's. Didn't even get to compressions before his eyes popped open and he started yelling.

We had him on 12 lead due to hx and he had been joking with us and reasonably normal vitals for him.

We turned around and stopped at the small hospital ER for stabilization. Labs were all out of whack.

ER doc gave him Atropine, insulin, calcium gluconate, Albuterol neb , Versed, Bi-Carb, all in attempt to raise his PH , lower his potassium levels and control his BG.

Not sure why but it all worked to get him stable enough to make the additional hr south to the big city hospital for dialysis and follow up care.

Need to do some follow up and research on this call.

My call came in as a seizure. 80yo man with a hx of epilepsy. His wife said he kept having these unusual seizures. His eyes would roll back and his arms would shake. We got to witness one of these "seizures", his wife pointed to him and said "there, hes doing it again!" He wasn't seizing, he was going into asystole, after a few compressions, he'd return to a rate of 30 and a bp of 120/80. It was one of the most insane things I've ever seen.

Edited by Curiosity

My call came in as a seizure. 80yo man with a hx of epilepsy. His wife said he kept having these unusual seizures. His eyes would roll back and his arms would shake. We got to witness one of these "seizures", his wife pointed to him and said "there, hes doing it again!" He wasn't seizing, he was going into asystole, after a few compressions, he'd return to a rate of 30 and a bp of 120/80. It was one of the most insane things I've ever seen.

I had a patient that was just like that. We picked him up at a dialysis clinic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.