Gun control, the constitution and you, let's keep it civil.

ERDoc

Gun's don't kill people, people kill people, its like if some dude flips out and wastes a few people at the movies, its not really the gun to blame, like if some old dude with eleventy billion comorbidities falls down one step and dies two weeks later in ICU from VAP, its not really the fall that killed him, it was his comorbidities.

New Zealand has some of the toughest gun control in the world and we've just taken it too far, if I want to be able to waste somebody who is breaking into my house by putting a couple into his head from my Springfield Armoury XD .40 17+1 that is patiently waiting for me back in US because I can't import it here, then so be it!

Sensible regulation to keep mentally ill or undesirable types away from guns seems to be the best answer, but, in reality I reckon we should have a system that keeps these people from getting mentally ill in the first place.

Excuse me, time for teh afternoon valiumz :D

Edited by Kiwiology

Well that's not gonna happen anytime soon, the movies are like $17 a ticket here, its easier to stay at home and download them off teh internetz although it would give the Fire Service something to do, you know a call to the movies they would send like five fire trucks, and we all know how terribly, terribly bored the Fire Service is, I hear in some parts they even take over medical calls to make up for it ... but surely such cannot be true? :D

Hate to say it, but this issue is just like "abortion", we can all argue for the next 50 years and no side's arguement is going to change the other. If you are a knuckle-dragger you believe you are entitled to own every weapon up to a "M-1 Tank", if you are a tree hugging hippie you believe the only gun you should own is a water pistol. Time to shut it down.

Link deleted by Dwayne

Brother that link didn't provide any new information. I'm not sure what it was supposed to do.

But if you'd like to repost it, with comments as to why you believed that it is relevant to this conversation, I'd be happy to leave it alone next time.

Dwayne

Mikey, why is it that when people find that they are no longer interested in a conversation that "We'd better shut it down" makes sense?

If you're no longer interested, then visit some of the other threads on the City...People will lose interest and the thread will die, or it will become inappropriate and be locked, but suggesting that it should be "shut down" simply because you've lost interest...that just gets on my nerves.

And the gun control debate goes to the very center of the spirit of being American. Perhaps it will never be resolved, but in the meantime both sides of the issue are talking, they're investigating the constitution, learning the way that those from different countries think about this and other things...

Solving the problem isn't the only value to be had from discussing the unsolveable.

how about the 5 year old who shot & killed his 2 yr old sister in Kentucky with his own 22 rifle. Does that not make an argument for mandatory sterilization of the parents stupid enough to give a firearm to a 4 yr old for a present and leave it loaded sitting around the trailer.

Thats why the battle continues to be fueled.

Parents need to be taken out behind the trailer and flogged before being neutered so they don't reproduce again.

Steve: Like you , I am a gun owner and firm believer of the right for us to legally own them.

However I do believe that a background check should be mandatory and over the counter gun shows sales & internet sales should all be required to have it done before the sale goes through.

This is not gun registration, it is an attempt at keeping guns out of the hands of people that can't legally possess them. A poor attempt granted, but an attempt all the same.

We all know that criminals can always get their hands on guns as there are millions of them in circulation, but eventually they will go away as they malfunction and are harder to get in the underworld.

Here in Maine it is illegal for convicted felons to possess them and those who have been convicted of domestic violence can't have them either.

Domestic violence deaths are on the rise , with the majority of them being caused by firearms.

Do we not do anything to try and slow this trend??

When I worked in Hartford Ct it was a regular occurrence to have gang shootings and the majority of those weapons were in the hands of folks that would not pass a background check. a slow Friday night was only responding to 3 or 4 shootings.

despite you owning firearms, you clearly have no knowledge of firearms law

Any sale of firearms that occurs across state line must go through an FFL, a persons with a license from the ATF to sell firearms. Before the FFL can release the fireamr to the buy they must conduct a background check

The gun show loophole is a lie. 99.99999% of sellers at a gunshow are businesses. These people must conduct a background check before they can sell their inventory to a buyer. They also must record who they sold it to and keep a log of all their inventory that can be reviewed by the ATF at any time.

Can a private individual sell a firearm to another in a face to face transaction? Yes, but this is rare at a gunshow. Hundreds of people, some get thousands attending, and maybe 1 or 2 will have a private sale.

SCOTUS has established that the militia is any able-bodied male aged 18-45

SCOTUS has established that individuals have the right to own a firearm "in common use"

Someone mentioned suppressors being easily availible...patently false. The ATF regulates the possesion of suppressors. You must apply to own one which involves an extensive background check and a $200 stamp of approval. They are regulated items under the National Firearms Act, the same that regulates ownership of automatic weapons and other destructive devices

This is why i find it difficult to have reasonable debates with liberals and Democrats and other anti-gun owners. If you do not have a knowledge of the law as it currently exists, how can you speak authoritatively about the topic? Many have no idea about what the NFA says. Many have no idead what the AWB did (ban cosmetic features, no impact on functionality). This makes it difficult to have a discussion when you are operating on different levels of knowledge

Bullets tell me this then

My brother has police officer friends who own quite a few weapons, not sure how they got them but they sell those guns from time to time. My father is actually going to meet with one or two of them in the next month or two and they are going to sell my father a AR15 and another couple of guns. There will be no background check of my father, no reporting to the FBI or the ATF on the sale of these guns.

They in fact will be travelling across state lines to sell these guns.

These are cops selling these guns and they are saying that this is legal.

Your thoughts to this?

Bullets, maybe you can correct me if I am wrong, but the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 allows FFLs to sell weapons at a show as long as they do a background check. However, the ATF states that only 50-75% of all vendors at shows are FFLs. The FOPA (1986) also allows those individuals who are "not engaged in the business" of selling firearms or those who only make "occasional" sales to sell any weapons without a background check. This would mean that 25-50% of all gun show sales are conducted without a background check. That's a pretty big loophole if you ask me.