Gun control, the constitution and you, let's keep it civil.

ERDoc

Isn't saying "There is no reason for anyone to ever need to own such a weapon." akin to saying, "There is no reason that anyone should ever need to read that book."

Where is the difference in spirit?

(Sorry DFIB if this question is answered in your videos. I'm trying to get back into my City duties but didn't have time to watch them right now.)

Isn't saying "There is no reason for anyone to ever need to own such a weapon." akin to saying, "There is no reason that anyone should ever need to read that book."

Where is the difference in spirit?

(Sorry DFIB if this question is answered in your videos. I'm trying to get back into my City duties but didn't have time to watch them right now.)

No the first video explains the complexities of comparing statistics from other countries against statistics from the US because the USA is so huge and mostly developed.

The second explains how the first assault weapon ban was a failure and that the difference between rifles and assault rifles is primarily cosmetic. Mr. Cruz claims that the purpose of the comitee should be violence prevention and not a repeat of failed weapons bans.

• 3 weeks later...

Explain to me this one. The DEA clamps down on certain chemicals and lab equipment that can be used to manufacture illicit drugs. Its not that its impossible to acquire it, its just that it takes a lot of paperwork and accountability to do so. These chemicals and pieces of equipment have a myriad of uses, far more uses than high capacity semi automatic rifles do. Why is it such a big deal to apply the same rules to certain firearms than we do to certain pieces of glassware?

Asys, to me, the reason is simple. We can track those chemicals to illegal uses that are harming many, many people. Many of the illegal activities are creating dangerous environments for people, many of them children, that are not choosing to participate in the activity. That makes it bad, and in my opinion, actionable.

That's not the case with the guns that they want to ban. The list of weapons that are being attacked are simply not being used to harm many people. That is why I hate the ban. I don't love the weapons, but I hate the hidden govt agenda that is attacking them. I'm no conspiracy theorist, so have no real idea what their agenda is, only that saving people isn't it. If that was the case there are a ton of other, much more realistic and much more productive ways that they could be spending their time, right?

For me it's kind of like having weed illegal. We've got billions of dollars, maybe trillions, per year chasing and housing those that use and/or sell this nearly harmless herb. Every halfway informed and/or intelligent person knows that having it illegal in a world where alcohol is legal is ridiculous, and yet illegal it remains. I don't know why it's still illegal, but I'm completely confident that protecting people from marijuana isn't the reason. That the agenda is something completely different but 'protecting the innocent and weak' the excuse. I feel exactly the same way about the gun bans, as it has the same fishy, sneaky, illogical smell...(Though I'm not completely sure what illogic/sneaky smells like..)

Funny we bring up "illicit" drugs. How's that war going? How has that "ban" worked out for the United States and other countries involved in said war like Mexico?

Edited by chbare
  • Like 1

I never buy the "its the hidden agenda" line. This "hidden agenda" nonsense is something that right-wing pundits made up so people will vote for them and buy the products their sponsors are selling. I've never seen paranoia like this creep into mainstream political ideology, but its scary. Really scary. That guy in Alabama was a prime example of it. Years ago, a heavily armed guy who built a bunker in his backyard and patrolled his land at night would have been a red flag. But that way of thinking has become so mainstream that it didn't even register. We need to end this crap before more people get killed.

So if you're going to force me into the right wing wacko category, make your argument Brother.

I'm not sure what crap you mean?

Make the argument that the guns being targeted are a logical agenda for this administration. There are massive amounts of data available. Why spend all of this time and effort on these guns instead of, say, beer, which kills, injures and victimizes hundreds of times more people every year. Why the guns? Why not beer? Or all alcohol? Or cigarettes? Or motorcycles?

It's way below you to start speaking of the "nonsense" of my argument and then make no attempt to defend it. If we're going to go all political, then surely you'll admit that if "hidden agendas" are the conservatives "nonsense" that making arguments based on emotion despite overwhelming evidence to the fallacy of their feel good ideas is certainly, as seen above, the liberals "nonsense" as well, right?

Observing this as I am from a Non-american point of view, I would very much appreciate if someone could give me the actual and intended meaning of the word "arms" as it relates to the right to bear them. Does it mean weapons in general, or is it referring specifically to firearms?

I am not at this point looking for an interpretation of the amendment itself, as it is quite clear there is not a consensus on this issue.

Thanks!

Edited by MedicNorth