EMT's deliver baby on Highway 75 - KSNT

News

You're funny.

I'm much older than you think I am. So you can drop the "you're too young" stuff.

Home births wouldn't require a hospital bill which negates part of your argument. Nevermind that you're now saying that it was a delay in reporting the birth, and not the lack of bill payment, that would hold up the release of birth certificates.

Once the birth is recorded it's the vital statistics agency that releases the copy of the birth certificate. Any outstanding hospital bill wouldn't have any affect on the release of that information. Now, if you want to argue that not paying for a copy of the birth certificate will hold up the release I'd buy that.

I did not say the recording of the birth was delayed. I said verification of birth, recording and the actual birth cert are all different processes.

If a baby is born at home "emergently" and is transported to the hospital by ambulance, there will be a hospital bill.

I do know the process from when I was born as told by my parents and also when my kids were born as told to me by the hospital and county. As I have stated, things are different today. Different states and different counties have different processes. Compare it the EMT and Paramedic certs. Please read post #19 just above yours.

The actual birth certificate does not have to be immediately released for many reasons. Verification of birth can be released and filed.

So if you know all of the state and county processes for the entire country for the years prior to 1980 then you can argue I am wrong. I don't know how old you are but your attitude towards those who are older and have actually dealt with these situations is not the best. Even when certifying and hiring people many years ago, some ran into difficult because of the way their birth was documented or not documented. Not everything was computerized nor did we have all of the "mandatory" reporting and time limit laws.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son is adopted, we had no problem getting the birth certificate even with the hospital bill unpaid as of the date we got the birth certificate from the state of Oklahoma.

I can't imagine that a Vital record would be held back by a hospital based on bills not being paid, think of all the death certificates that would have been in limbo for litigation of that persons death and who would pay for that.

But I don't know the entire country.

But I think we got my son's birth certificate within a week or so of his being born and our taking him home, as a matter of fact, I think we got the certificate within 3 days of our arriving home.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Actual birth certificates are not given to people. Official copies are. The original is held on file. I have not encountered a state where the actual original birth certificate is given to anyone.

Your original statement was that a hospital would withhold a birth certificate until the hospital bill was paid. I asked for verification. Not only could you not provide anything to back it up you changed your argument to discuss vital statistics, recording, reporting and verification of birth. And you've still not provided anything to support your original statement.

You are correct. There are various reasons why the State may delay the release of a vital statistic. What I asked for is verification from you to support your argument that hospitals wouldn't release a birth certificate until the bill was paid. If you can't do it then just say so. I'll have more respect for that answer than for the song and dance you've put forth.

I've done some (albeit) brief research into this and can't find anything to support your statement. So unless you've got something other than the patronizing "Because I said so" or "You're young. Go ask your grandparents" line of reasoning I'll have to consider your comments with a grain of salt.

So if you know all of the state and county processes for the entire country for the years prior to 1980 then you can argue I am wrong.

I don't know them. That's why I asked you to back up your statement. We've already determined you can't.

I don't know how old you are but your attitude towards those who are older and have actually dealt with these situations is not the best.

You're assuming I'm younger and have never had to deal with issues like this.

Stop assuming. You're wrong.

I will add that for the cost of an ambulance, even if it is BLS and going by a private company, some FDs are now also charging an additional response (nontransport) fee which can be as high as $500.

What happens when a "concerned citizen" calls for someone who didnt ask/doesnt want an ambulance? Who foots the bill then?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.