EMT's deliver baby on Highway 75 - KSNT

News

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She may have made it to the hospital had she not been forced to wait for ems to arrive :P

The full article is here:

http://cjonline.com/news/2012-12-13/mother-good-hands-during-emergency-highway-delivery

on US-75 highway near Hoyt about 9:35 p.m. Wednesday.

After the birth, the new mother and child resumed their trip to Topeka’s Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in a Jackson County EMS ambulance shortly after 11 p.m.

Being in the cold for a long period of time can also stress a mother in labor and a baby out. I would say they got lucky on this one that all did go well.

The baby boy was delivered in a group effort on the scene in the back of the parents’ vehicle.

Meaning: 2 Police Officers, Jackson County EMS and Mayetta Fire Department. But, I suspect it was the mother who put forth the greatest effort.

Everybody was trying to take care of mom in the back of this little SUV

I am a firm believer in giving someone their right to a certain amount of privacy in this special moment. The woman, the husband and one "catcher" should be present in the immediate area. There is no reason the husband can not be involved to some extent. This should not turn into a spectator sport for those who have no role in the actual delivery.

Speaking of deliveries, I think I've got a unique one in this darling lady...

Took a call for a woman in labor which is nothing new. Typically find out where they're at, send out a unit and depending how close and long the contractions stay on the line until our crew arrives, occasionally aiding in delivery prior to their arrival.

This call was just a titch different...first it is the woman that is in labor that calls, not the frantic husband or an anxious family member, or even another child, one of her first, no this caller called herself. And when she called she was driving to the hospital, didn't want an ambulance, just wanted us to let the hospital know she was coming. Well, we can do that, but as we're confirming which hospital she is going to (she won't tell us here she is because she DOESN'T want or need an ambulance) there is that scream that anyone who has ever heard it before knows is nothing other than a woman in labor preparing to push that baby out. And that scream is immediately followed by the words "oh my God, I think her head is out." Keep in mind this woman is still as far as we're aware driving down the highway. She's still refusing an ambulance but we get her to pull over and sure enough not only is the head out, the entire baby is sitting on the seat with her. She pulls the shoelace out of her runners, ties off the umbilical cord and then insists on driving the rest of the way to the hospital, NO AMBULANCE! So we get her to dry off baby and wrap her up, and you can hear her screaming away so you know she can't be doing too badly considering her entry into the world. Anyway, mom and baby made it to the hospital in their PV. But we made sure that as they pulled up ER staff were ready and waiting.

Talk about one tough, and stubborn lady. And a great story to tell your little girl about the day she entered the world!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.