NREMT Psychomotor Examinations: Evidence?

Is anybody aware of any evidence suggesting successful completion of the psychomotor exam correlates to a competent, entry-level paramedic. I am having a difficult time finding anything to support the current paradigm.

I would have to agree with you. At best the psychomotor skills test appears to cover the mechanization of the very basics that would seem necessary to establish a starting point for an entry level paramedic although I have nothing more than empirical evidence to support this statement.

I would be interested to see what others have found.

Take an arbitrary definition and apply the current paradigm. By current paradigm I mean mandating all prospective providers complete the psychomotor skill exam. I cannot even compare it to other professions as none with the rare exception have anything like registry.

I have no evidence based research to back this up but rather my twisted thought pattern. We have a didactic measure with the CBT. It quantifies the fund of knowledge and adds a scenerio based logic test based on the variables programmed through school. In a field as hands-on as ours can be, doesn't it make since to have an evaluation by a non biased, third party, to verify ability of intubation, cannulation, medicine administration, ECG interpretation, and two medical and trauma skills station? In nursing typically there is another nurse there to assist in the event of failed IVs, a anaesthesiologist for a doc who can't get the tube. Where ALS providers are often running solo, although far from an enforced national FTEP program, I feel it does better than a written only test to verify entry level abilities.

BAYAMedic formerly known as Fireman1037

While NR's psychomotor skill testing structure seems a bit odd, it's not completely unheard of within the medical educational community. Physician assistant students, as well as MD/DO students, must complete psychomotor skill testing (At least obtaining a history and conducting physical exams, and in the case of DO students, some osteopathic interventions as well. Some programs require skill testing similar to NR with select skills and a checklist-style evaluation process.) in order to complete their educational programs.

Granted, none of this is evidence of anything along the lines of what you were looking for. I do think it would be an interesting study to see if this type of testing affected the quality of entry level providers from paramedic through to MD/DO.

A fundamental difference exists. Do those professions have a nationally recognised credentialling board mandate that their prospective practitioners take an official psychomotor examination where a representative of the said board runs the testing site? While many professions have similar exercises as part of their educational experience, typically before performing interventions on real patients, how many mandate such an exercise as a required part of the credentialling process?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.