Back to life?

Bernhard

Sorry folks, I was away a long time and regret it. But some things in my life have changed. As some of you may know, I am a parttime medic and served as "jumper" on every rig in the county wherever someone was needed. Low pay and no regular shift. This was due to my family situation and besides a small business as freelancing IT engineer.

As those "jump-ins" became more and the request for overtaking shifts flow in more regularly, I decided to apply for a regular shift position in EMS.

Well, good thing is, they offered me a position. "Bad" thing is, it was not for EMS.

I now sit on a management chair in the Red Cross transportation service for handicapped people supervising 25 busses carrying over 100 handicapped childs through the county from home to school and back plus other handicapped people to work and social events, every day.

This took me away from EMS (& engineering) a bit, however, I can use all my skills there as well. But the first months now where very stressful and left no time to get involved in EMS discussions. I promise to change this (at least I have regularly days off now...), hoping you still accept an "EMS-wannabe" (while I have to admit, the pay now is significant better than in EMS). At least, I'm still a medic and still a parttime jumper in our EMS system, even my volunteer work in local first responding, covering social events and disaster response etc. stayed the same.

See you!

Hey Bernhard, good to hear from you. I was wondering where you were, although I myself have been really seldomly around this last months (distance-studying takes most of my time).

Good luck with the new position, and enjoy the pay upgrade. ;)

Really bad thing is: you don't have time to post on EMTcity between the calls. My customers now call in all the time and staff/vehicles have all kinds of problems any minute...I miss the quiet of EMS shifts a bit. But my experience in disaster response and scene control helps a lot. ;)

OK, so far: between the usual chaos in transporting school kids I experienced one heart attack direct in front of me (one of my bus drivers collapsed in my office) and a "mass care event" at last school before christmas holidays day when our special school forgot to tell us they intended to close 1hr earlier, leaving 30 handicapped kids in the cold rain, just the day when five crew members called in sick and one vehicle dropped out of service due to motor damage - not to brag about beeing alone in the office because my colleague had a week off...

...without my EMS background and disaster training I think I would have gotten a significant higher pulse. :D

Result: driver was saved and the kids did not wait longer than 20 minutes. Merry christmas (or whatever you feel good with) everyone!

Congrats, Mate.

As I know your office and the people you now have to bear every day I feel a bit sorry for you although:)

And to hijack that topic a bit: I'm -litterally- back alive as well. December is not my favorite month anymore... At least not this one.

And 2012 get in my chronic as the worst year so far...

Edited by krumel