Teaching EMR Classes

Guest ~~~

Diddos to all the prior posters. I would also encourage you to consider instructor insurance.

State fire school holds liability for everything.

What do you mean by having one of the guys be the first "mom" ?

Take the birthing dummy and throw a blanket over the actor's nether regions and put the dummy (if it's just a pelvic dummy) under the blanket and have the actor go into "labor". Gives the student a opportunity to ham it up. I would personally pick one of the class clowns to start with as the "Mom", the more people get into it the more fun you will have as a class. Just make sure to reign in the class before they get to much off the rails (somebody always spikes the baby for some reason)

Death by powerpoint is the fastest way to lose an audience.

Use it as an outline to the lecture.

This times 100. If you lose the audience you might as well pass out the power point and go home. Often the books will have online resources to use as well, ranging from power points, to lesson plans and videos. I recommend against using them verbatim, but they can give you great ideas of ways to go you haven't thought of. You don't want to spend too long on any one media, especially in a fire school setting. If I remember right, the major publishers design ems materials to the tenth grade level. Keep that in mind as well. Switch up media from videos to slides to hands on. Even if you don't want to teach full time, I'd highly recommend taking some courses in adult education. With the right instructor you can learn lots about communication and theory

Sent from my Galaxy S III on Tapatalk!

Edited by brentoli

What state agency oversees EMS? For me it is the Dept. of Health. If it were me my first stop would be the Dept of Health website to look at the requirements to be an EMR. As an instructor you will be teaching them to state or national standards so they can pass their tests. The state should give you a good idea of what you need to teach.

What state agency oversees EMS? For me it is the Dept. of Health. If it were me my first stop would be the Dept of Health website to look at the requirements to be an EMR. As an instructor you will be teaching them to state or national standards so they can pass their tests. The state should give you a good idea of what you need to teach.

I have all the teaching material that the students are required to learn, and then be tested on to certify as an EMR. The only thing I didn't know is how to deliver it, they just gave me the material, when and what needs to be taught to the students. All they care is that they are taught and pass the exams.

"All they care is that they are taught and pass the exams. "

what else would you expect from the fire service. They don't really care if they know how to provide proper care as long as they pass the test.

I can say this as a two hatter.

"All they care is that they are taught and pass the exams. "

what else would you expect from the fire service. They don't really care if they know how to provide proper care as long as they pass the test.

I can say this as a two hatter.

You say this as ignorant idiot.

To say that all fire services provide an inferior service than for profit EMS simply means your opinion is as useless as you seem to be. I have worked for Public and private EMS, hospital based and in the ER, and the fire service I work for now has the greatest dedication to the quality of care we provide than any of the other places I have worked. I know of fire departments that do not have such dedication and I know of private EMS services that are only out there to make a buck. If you can't be a fire fighter that is dedicated to providing the highest care for your patients, maybe you should do the fire service a favor and go flip burgers, Sorry to derail your excellent thread Patton.

ResQ: There is an old saying TABBOMA.

I have been in the business for over 4 decades, worked for private mom & pops, 3 rd service ,corporate EMS ,large urban and rural systems & I'm currently head of a fire service based EMS system.I do know what I'm talking about.

If the fire service there was really into providing proper care , they would require a higher level of traing than EMR. It is the equivalent amount of training as given to red cross first aiders or boy scouts for a merit badge.

Actually the last group of boy scouts I taught were required to have 60 hours of wilderness first aid training .

• Like 1