Can a first year med student legally treat patients without direct Dr. oversight?

DwayneEMTP

Pretty much what spenac said. There is no way you could be the first and if they have ever done it to a medicare/medicaid pt, CMS will want to know. They are making it more and more difficult for us to legitimately/legally collect, they would love to know that there is someone that they don't need to pay anymore.

Thanks for that guys...I'll contact them...I'm pretty committed now to not only messing up the doc, but also the clinic. All had the chance to do the right thing, and all have chosen not to...so, game on.

Dwayne, you dumb bastard! :D You are 50 years old and having cardiac complaints. You basically made every lay person mistake in the book, but you had the balls to come clean. Good on you. Good luck as you move foreword.

Edited by chbare
  • Like 1

I knew that it was taking a chance, but cardiac issues are for the wealthy or well insured, they are not really for the middle income struggling family, and certainly not for the single income family with handicapped children.

Dylan needs a speech therapist, occupational therapist, has a trainer at the gym. All really, really important to help him participate in his life to the best of his ability and desire. Do you, as his dad, take all of those things away for a $10k cardiac work-up (making assumptions, but, as a clinic visit was a thousand bucks it's probably not far off...) to ease your mind, or try and be more conservative as long as possible when perfusion issues don't appear to accompany the other symptoms...Because there is certainly no way that I can accept that bill and still keep those services.

Not whining, or defending really, just explaining my reasoning. I know the choice that I made, but I'm truly curious about the choices of others...Maybe there are options here that I'm not seeing? I've gotten jammed up by being sensitive to those patients that explained that they couldn't afford a huge hospital bill unless I was really certain that they were in danger..that it would be life altering to be transported for tests to rule out issues...and I get that completely, several times having the family drive them when I felt it was likely non critical, and following them to the ER in the ambulance in case I was wrong.

It's really easy, and makes us feel good to say, "Where our health is involved money should never be considered..." But real life, for me anyway, isn't like that at all. Every dollar I spend on me means that something gets taken away from Babs or Dylan (figuratively speaking)...And to take the therapists away from Dylan could be life altering for him. (Therapists are wicked expensive, but really valuable.) Sure, losing me would be life altering...but I was playing the odds the best way that I knew how...

Again, I'm not whining. I've chosen this career, created that amazing boy, and have chosen, along with Babs of course, to be a single income family. So I'm not pretending to be a victim of the system, just explaining that for me there really isn't a realistic system beyond basic medical needs. Significant non emergent tests and treatments are for those well above or below me financially.

If this was your (speaking to all willing to participate) issue, all family, age, financial, historical issues as described in this thread...what would you do?

I cannot answer that question bro. I do not have children and never wanted children. Was sterilised at a very young age, so I have no real concept of what it means to be a father. However, it's hard to look after your son if you are dead. Can you look at a private insurance plan?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I developed severe right sided chest pain and dyspepsia intermittently when I'd lay down at night several months ago. I was working a few part time jobs without benefits and could not seem to get coverage due to pre-existing conditions (minor for myself). I took a chance and figured it was likely Gi and I waited. Currently doing quite well with a possible hiatel hernia with symptomology that is well controlled on a PPI.

A private plan is possible, but not really financially feasable for us. The least expensive plan that I was able to find was about $14,000/yr, and that wasn't a very good plan. It had a $7,000 deductable per person I think, and almost nothing excluded. A plan that would be realistically usable was closer to $19,000/yr, ($3,000 deductable, basic office visit costs, Dr. referred diagnostic testing, etc and dental maint. excluded from deductable) and though I could pay that, I'd have to take away Dylan's professionals to do so, and that's not a great option. If I was dead Babs could continue to live and pay them for the next 10 years or so...not a great option, but, man...I'm not sure what good options there are..

Reading this thread all I can think of is how terrible it would be to have to make the choice between seeking your own medical care and the needs of your family... That's just not right to me.. Lots of work in Canada!

• Like 1

Reading this thread all I can think of is how terrible it would be to have to make the choice between seeking your own medical care and the needs of your family... That's just not right to me.. Lots of work in Canada!

Pretty much the same thoughts here. I have no intent to politicise this medical discussion, but I think it's terrible that you've been put into this position. My sympathies, and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family, Dwayne (and to everyone else).

Thanks guys, but there's no need for sympathy.

I just tend to fall into a bad financial category in my country. If I made a third less than I do then I'd probably qualify for govt. sponsored/assisted healthcare, or at least Dylan would. Or a third more and it would be easier to afford what I need for my boy and health insurance also. Also, if we'd choose to have Babs work too, as most American families do, then we'd likely be in a different category, but we can't really imagine allowing someone else to raise Dylan in our absence. I'm not a victim of our system but of my own choices. Most often it's fine, but on rare occasions the lack of options can be a little bit scary.

Also, I've been thinking of you the last week or so systemet! I miss you when you're not here! It's my goal this week to try and create some more stimulating threads, at least to the best of my ability, to try and lure you back into the fold...

Thanks for participating all...I'll continue to update this thread as I move forward in the complaint processes...

Unfortunately, this is often the pitfall of being a paramedic. It is hard to progress and sometimes make a living as a paramedic and I understand why we loose so many EMS providers to nursing, medicine and other allied health fields.