Can a first year med student legally treat patients without direct Dr. oversight?

DwayneEMTP

DWayne, we fall into the same category, single income family, I don't have the special needs child but I do have a child with a heart issue.

WE make about the same amount of money as well.

What I worry about is what if I develop a cardiac condition or some other condition and need medical care? If I don't work, we don't get paid. I find that I will get that workup. regardless of the cost. I can always get on a payment plan or my wife can go back to work but that's a difficulty because we have a 1 year old and a 3 yr old and a 10 year old. If I'm off work due to sickness then who takes care of me and them?

I do appreciate your plight though. At the time when Katerina was in that limbo of would she stop breathing again and she had all the monitors on her at home and we woke up every 15 minutes to check on her, you can bet we would have given up all our healthcare and paid for all the therapists and people to watch her 24/7. But it didn't ocme that that but you don't have that luxury.

I truly see where you are coming from.

My situation is similar to yours in parts but not in others.

I've head great insurance my whole life, but even then it's sometimes not enough. I now have two chronic health conditions that will be with me until death and insurance can still not be enough. A few years ago I almost had to file for bankruptcy due to my insurance refusing to pay for my first fusion. They said I reached my lifetime limit and that because of my pre-existing condition (granted I was born with it) I would no longer be covered for anything basically.

Sucks Dwayne...but hey I'll be an NP in about 3 years and you can just come see me!

• Like 1

Ok, now I don't know if things have changed, or what you have tried already, but I lived in Colorado Springs for a majority of my life. When I was pregnant with my youngest child (over 15 years ago) I lost my healthcare coverage. At that time I was not married to his father. I was told to contact the department of health and human services for health care assistance. Now my total household income was over the allowed amount for regular Medicaid, however they said when it came to pregnant women and children there were exceptional and other programs avaliable. I was able to get state funded health care for the duration of my pregnancy. Is there a loophole for your son? Insurance for him? I hole this all works out for you. Choosing to have your wife stay home may be financially hard, but I am sure it is a very rewarding decision for the both of you.

• Like 1

pregnancy is a whole other game.

Now that the lifetime limit is gone, you should be ok now Kate.

After 2014 the pre-existing condition clause for everyone I believe is gone as well but that won't keep the insurance companies from raising rates though.

It's a double edged sword. Be careful where you step.

Colorado still has these programs http://www.chpplus.org/index.cfm?action=eligibility&language=eng

Dwayne probably still makes too much...

Denver has one of the best ways to support their children and families. It's really something amazing. All DPS students receive free health care. They don't pay a dime for office visits or injury treatment.

pregnancy is a whole other game. Now that the lifetime limit is gone, you should be ok now Kate. After 2014 the pre-existing condition clause for everyone I believe is gone as well but that won't keep the insurance companies from raising rates though. It's a double edged sword. Be careful where you step.
yes but my child then got it until he was a year old and then I could reapply. I don't know what the income limits are now days, the who insurance thing just sucks.

pregnancy is a whole other game.

Now that the lifetime limit is gone, you should be ok now Kate.

After 2014 the pre-existing condition clause for everyone I believe is gone as well but that won't keep the insurance companies from raising rates though.

It's a double edged sword. Be careful where you step.

Yeah this was back in 2010 my plan renewed two months before the lifetime limit rule applied.

Fortunately now I am covered under an employer who subsidizes our insurance and so it doesn't matter anymore. My mom was denied insurance a few years ago when they left for their trip because she had endometriosis when she was in her 30's... it's so stupid I can't stand it.

Yes, I hate insurance and their little sniveling ways to get out of paying something. It makes my head spin. I'm currently battling my insurance company because they say my diabetes is a pre-existing which it is but I've sent them the cobra letter (twice) but they still say they never received the letter. They denied my doctors claim so my doctor said they won't treat me until the claim is either paid by the insurance company or me. I have to fight the insurance company or pay the claim to get seen again. So I fight the insurance company. Freaking bottom feaders.

Dwayne, Glad you're OK!

The cause of the tachycardia that the second doctor discovered, the "dangerous medication interaction," after correcting that situation, did it resolve the tachycardia episodes?

Doczilla speaks legal truth. First year med students...no license, no touchy da patient. In surgery, we usually put first years against a wall, "Don't move, don't touch anything, don't talk and if you feel like your going to pass out, don't hit anything sterile on your way down." I could very well have been miscommunication between lazydoc and Imnotadoc but if it walks like a fraud and quacks like a fraud....

Be careful in the jungle my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Sue them! for all medical bills and gross negligence. their negligence put you at risk of "really dangerous" problems as the other doctor put it. so yeah im sure he didnt document that he called you a hypocondriact. id sue him the doctor over him the hospital and the medschool.