Lets get this party started! Post something here so we know you're alive!

spenac

that's one of the reasons for retirement. Trevor.

great meals just off the grill and the tones go off.

Phone calls for help just as your drifting off into a sound sleep

thats one part of the job that I don't miss.

I do miss the customers , but still get to see many of them around the island , when they are not in distress.

Pretty sad that the Doc in the box & the nurses had to call you to figure out how to mix a D-10 bag up/

Pretty sad that the Doc in the box & the nurses had to call you to figure out how to mix a D-10 bag up/

They call him for judicial decisions too Island... :)

I heard he's a right smart mayor too, when they can keep him out of 'jail'......

Ah hell, I plain old miss batting the ball back and forth between all of us here... :) why aren't there more hours in a day?

This is unrelated but to the current conversation but...

I got to eat lunch with paramedics yesterday! :D My grandparents, little bro' and I wanted to check out their station and we dropped in. They were just having lunch and I ended up staying there for almost two hours chatting with these guys! It was so cool!

I think the most important thing they taught me wasn't anything they said (although the medic who taught me the most was very informative and encouraging). I used to be very prejudiced and had a bias against EMS systems that worked with AMR or didn't operate their own ambulance, since the opposite is true where I live (the municipal fire department operates their own ALS ambulances & is responsible for all patient transports). Previously I didn't want to work in system much different from that. I didn't have a real reason; like I said, I was deeply prejudiced probably simply because that is the type of system I am most familiar with.

Luckily those medics changed my view of things! I'm much more open-minded about different systems now. I am really glad I got to meet those guys, they taught me so much!

So quick question, would it be appropriate if I wrote them a letter later on telling them what else I've learned since I met them, as well as what the taught me/helped me realize? I don't want to be a bother to them, but they were all very engaging and helpful, so I would like to send them something to let them know if I am still on this path later on.

A letter is an excellent idea. The EMS crews will always appreciate such letters. Not knowing which jurisdiction you're in, Caduceus, if the EMS station you visited is a municipal agency, like my own FDNY EMS is, send a complimentary letter about the visit to the Mayor.

As to sending cookies or cake, I now have to be a buzz-kill. Following the September 11, 2001, attacks, many departments have taken a position, to gifts such as these, as potential danger to the crews. The crews are being told to decline such items, due to suspicion they could be poisoned. That would be an agency position, not necessarily that of the individual crews, or myself (I'm a "Chocoholic").

@Mr. Island Unfortunately, the city is too far away for me to send actual food. I live 300 miles away from the city, so now from what Mr. Richard said:

As to sending cookies or cake, I now have to be a buzz-kill. Following the September 11, 2001, attacks, many departments have taken a position, to gifts such as these, as potential danger to the crews. The crews are being told to decline such items, due to suspicion they could be poisoned.

I have no life experience whatsoever, what would be a good thing to send them!? A letter, for sure, and....? A gift card would get around the issues Richard brought up. I just really want to thank these guys and give them something more than just a 'thank you'.

There are only three guys on shift at a time at that station (which REALLY surprised me! Three men running an ALS engine at a time! It seems like there should be more!)

Actually, come to think, before I left I gave them on of my drawings (I think most here know that I am an artist as well) of a firefighter, with smoke and fire in the background making the firefighter cross thingy (maltese cross?)

And on a side note, I feel like I should say this: If I could send every one of the EMTCity members who have helped me chocolate or cake or cookies or whatever, I would do it every day of the year. You guys are the best :)

Thanks for the advice guys :3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you..it's been a long time coming, and I've worked really hard to get there..

There's a lot of good hard working people here, and I am committing myself wholly. I can finally learn what I need to so I can finally go to paramedic school and become a good medic. There are great mentors here..!

Congrats Shamanwolf! :D Good luck in the future!

I love EMTCity enough to turn ad block off when I'm on here...but I really wish that the ads for 'beautiful 21 y/o Asian women' would stop coming up across the bottom.