If you're by yourself?

ems94

Guys here is the ASNSW protocol on multi victim situations

post-1066-0-67000700-1354577702_thumb.jp

also here is both the pages for spinal immobolisation and DFIB you might like the read the yellow highlighted areas....might help in your argument

post-1066-0-86465400-1354577880_thumb.pn

post-1066-0-92060300-1354577921_thumb.jp

Cheers

Craig

• Like 2

Just an additional thought. I am trying to move our department toward less immobilization under a pretty simple guideline.

No pain + no deformity + no distracting injury = no immobilization

I have a fight ahead, but what the heck, I have nothing better to do!

That's something I'd like to bring up to the department as well. I know some services around here do that already so I'm hoping they take to it.

ITLS has a section about how to clear someone from immobilization. It's pretty good info.

Edited by Curiosity
  • Like 1

Here in Denver any pt. <12 or >60 gets immobilized if there is a mechanism that gives the index of suspicion for C-spine injury. Even if you "clear" their c-spine. Makes sense to me though when considering those age groups anatomical stages.

Thanks guys for all of the input. I did omit AMS and head trauma but it was not on purpose. I was posting the idea while on break from having a linguistic interchange with the monsters in the toilet. Amazing, I thought I had forgotten that language!

I think the primary considerations for less immobilization are first that many patients don't need it and prolonged immobilization can cause more harm, especially in the elderly and folks with spinal pathological.

Another reason that I have not seen anyone address is that immobilization ties up valuable human and time resources that would be more efficiently used attending other injuries or aspects of the call and patient care.

Thanks everyone for posting your protocols.

Edited by DFIB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.