Canadian medic looking to certify with NREMT

Hockeygod

Hey everyone.

I'm a canadian trained Advanced Care Paramedic certified to work in the province of Ontario. I'm moving to San Diego California soon and I'm looking to work as a road medic. I'm trying to figure out how to set up any meets/equivalency classes before I get down there the 1rst of Dec, but I'm having a hell of a time figuring everything out.

I just spent 1.5 hrs on hold with NREMT... starting to get a little frustrated. Can anyone help me out? My program was 3 years so I'm fairly certain I'm the equivalent to an EMT-P.

Please help!

There is no equivalency for non-US trained Paramedics. I researched this topic long and hard and the answer was simply you have to go through training again. There was talk of being able to prove equivalent knowledge and skill to enable taking the NREMTP exam but nobody was willing to help. You may be lucky and be able to gain recognition of prior learning from a community college Paramedic program for your PCP and ACP college credits and then have to complete some classes at that specific institution to get a Paramedic certificate or associates degree that would enable you to take the NREMTP test.

I am extremely curious why you would move from Canada (specifically Ontario, which is one of the better provinces) to the US, in particular California, to be a Paramedic. Have you researched pay and conditions and clinical context of the local area?

Edited by Kiwiology

There is no equivalency for non-US trained Paramedics. I researched this topic long and hard and the answer was simply you have to go through training again. There was talk of being able to prove equivalent knowledge and skill to enable taking the NREMTP exam but nobody was willing to help. You may be lucky and be able to gain recognition of prior learning from a community college Paramedic program for your PCP and ACP college credits and then have to complete some classes at that specific institution to get a Paramedic certificate or associates degree that would enable you to take the NREMTP test.

I am extremely curious why you would move from Canada (specifically Ontario, which is one of the better provinces) to the US, in particular California, to be a Paramedic. Have you researched pay and conditions and clinical context of the local area?

All of my family is in California and it was never really an option for the reasons you listed. But I then got a job working offshore of seismic vessels and this is on a 6week rotation. So I can now live wherever I want.

So to answer your question, I'm doing it to be with family, for the experience, and because I can afford to. I'm in a pretty unique situation.

• Like 1

Respectfully KIWI, this is not completely accurate, though it isnt inaccurate either. There is a (slow) process the NREMT goes through, but the good news is that the ground work for Canadian to US transition has been done many times over (moreso that the AUssie/NZ transition) , so it is quicker than most. I only say this because we have at least one Canadian paramedic who works for us now.

That said, it is extremely slow and frustrating. I know you will need lesson plans, syllabi and similar documentation to prove equivalency If you are fortunate, someone from your province has already done this so it will be easier.

Either way, you pretty much have to start at the NREMT for most cases, then apply for state after that. Someone here may know of a state that will accept you straight across but I dont know of any. If you can get your state cert first you can back door the NREMT that way, but there arent too many of those states left.

I agree that if I had my choice I wouldn't work in California, especially in SoCal, its very restrictive for paramedic practice, not to mention the local FDs love to treat private service medics like crap. That said I would definitely do it if it kept me with my family, so best of luck there man.

Just found out I need a College to sign me off so I can apply under their name. I'm in the process now.

You should keep us posted on the details of your progress. This question comes up about every 6 months or so, so having an ongoing thread with details would really help a lot of people.

• Like 1

Respectfully KIWI, this is not completely accurate, though it isnt inaccurate either. There is a (slow) process the NREMT goes through, but the good news is that the ground work for Canadian to US transition has been done many times over (moreso that the AUssie/NZ transition) , so it is quicker than most. I only say this because we have at least one Canadian paramedic who works for us now.

That said, it is extremely slow and frustrating. I know you will need lesson plans, syllabi and similar documentation to prove equivalency If you are fortunate, someone from your province has already done this so it will be easier.

Either way, you pretty much have to start at the NREMT for most cases, then apply for state after that. Someone here may know of a state that will accept you straight across but I dont know of any. If you can get your state cert first you can back door the NREMT that way, but there arent too many of those states left.

I agree that if I had my choice I wouldn't work in California, especially in SoCal, its very restrictive for paramedic practice, not to mention the local FDs love to treat private service medics like crap. That said I would definitely do it if it kept me with my family, so best of luck there man.

You should keep us posted on the details of your progress. This question comes up about every 6 months or so, so having an ongoing thread with details would really help a lot of people.

Wow thanks for all that! I just got a bite from one of the more recognized colleges in San Diego so I'm hoping we can work something out. I will be harassing my College for all that information as well.

I'll be sure to let this forum know how it goes... It all has to happen before Dec. 15th as I'll be leaving for another contract in the Gulf.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.