Paragod: Fact or Fiction?

Dustdevil

Paragod: Fact or Fiction?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• I agree. This whole "paragod" thing is bogus.
    • I disagree. I know lots of guys who were great before becoming a paramedic.
    • I disagree, because it is my life's mission to disagree with everything Dustdevil says.
    • WTF? (or for our Canadian friends, "eh?")

You're crapping my thread. :roll:

The topic is not about medics who are a-holes. It is about medics who become a-holes only after becoming a medic. If you have no specific occurrence of this phenomenon to cite, then you're off topic.

U talkin to me!?!??!?!?!?? ;):D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This job isn't about a juvenille ego contest but about helping people at the time of their greatest need..

Your statement here is the basis of what we do and what should come first, which is what is in the best interest of the patient. I was just pointing out that based on your comment I quoted earlier seemed to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Based on your examples, you were correct and it appears that the ALS crews acted wrong. This doesn't seem to be a Para-god complex but rather stupidity, being lazy, or a combination of both.

I have a theory that the entire theory of so-called "paragods" is factually invalid.

In my experience, those paramedics who are egotistical jerks were egotistical jerks well before they became a paramedic. They were jerks as EMTs. They were jerks in EMT school. And they were probably jerks in high school too.

I do not believe that it is a common phenomenon for simply being a paramedic to actually contribute significantly to ones jerkism. And therefore, the term, as well as the theory of, "paragod" is not based upon a foundation of fact, but merely utilized in much the same manner as a racial slur.

Comment?

And Dust, to answer your question, I agree with your statement in that a spade is a spade regardless of the number on the card be it a deuce or an ace (meaning that it is personality driven, not skill level or scope related, it follows the individual.) How does one change their personality just by going to Paramedic school? I don't see it.

LMAO! ;) I love that analogy!

Ace, it never even crossed my mind that he was referring to you. I think it was just a really good analogy.

I still am waiting for the complaints about the a-hole BLS providers. LOOKIT ME! I GOT BRAND NEW SUNGLASSES FROM GALLS AND THEM MEDICS BETTER STAY OUTTA MAH WAY!

I still am waiting for the complaints about the a-hole BLS providers. LOOKIT ME! I GOT BRAND NEW SUNGLASSES FROM GALLS AND THEM MEDICS BETTER STAY OUTTA MAH WAY!

Admittedly I see this as well, and also run into a number of providers on all levels who fit the provided description. Another example I will provide is this.

In a local 911 system at approx 2000 the ALS crew gets dispatched solo to an address "for the Diabetic reaction." The patients wife says to the crew, he's "just not acting right. They quickly do a FSBS which comes back WNL, and they do no further assessment. They end up giving getting a pt. refusal, they provided no care, etc.. All's good then, right???!!!

Yeah, all is ok, right up to the part where it's 2am and the patient had went into cardiac arrest!!! So we get dispatched with FD, ALS, to the same address as earlier. We arrive to find a 32yo Male who's only PMHX was IDDM, and HTN with the meds to match. The wife was unable to wake him so she got concerned. Fire beat us by 2 min. and was found providing CPR on the patient's bed....What good that does the patient is anyone's guess.....

So we apply the monitor, and HF pads, the patient gets intubated, a line, etc... The is found to be in PEA....We extricate to the truck. Sounds godd so far right? Yeah well the medic who is teching, has about 6 months out of school on the street. You can't even talk to this guy, it's a wonder his head can make it through the door of the truck. Long story short, we get to the ER and this medic as part of his report says to the doc/nurses, "yeah we gave him 4 purple boxes, a yellow, and a green! He stayed in a pulseless type rhythmn, and never came back. Unknown down time, and he's a diabetic, we were at his house ealier but he was fine and we got a refusal!!!" You've got to be kidding me!!! This is what you consider a banner of shining paramedic education right!!! YYYEEEEAAAHHHHH.........rrrrrrrrriiiiiigggghhhhtttt. Then after the call, while cleaning the bus we all got regaled with stories of "how it was a good thing that ALS was there because they made a big difference in this patient's outcome, and ohhh...he wasn't down long, because you could just tell, etc....

kevkei wrote,

"This doesn't seem to be a Para-god complex but rather stupidity, being lazy, or a combination of both. "

These are all integral parts of the same disease!!! Those medics couldn't be bothered with doing even the barest of essential job functions due to the factors you mentioned, and the "paragod disease". They were too good to take the time to actually assess and help these patient's, because they were missing their movie, not drinking their coffee, fill in the blank!

My short point which follows a long story is this. If you encouter a provider who you may feel is "arrogant, or a paragod" see if they can back up their words and claims with actions, experience, wisdom, compassion, professionalisim, etc...when it's called for (see my previous posts). Give them the opportunity to prove they are lacking in everything necessary, and that they are in fact an incompetent, idiot before you pass judgement on the mere basis of "an attitude". Then surely you have a basis to slur someone as a "paragod".....A$$&*())...or whatever you choose to refer to them. They come form all levels of education, werw either always this way, or mabe to be, they have differing statures, the difference is in their ability to perform, or not.

I rest my case,

Ace844

[quote="kevkei

And Dust, to answer your question, I agree with your statement in that a spade is a spade regardless of the number on the card be it a deuce or an ace

Wsa that a nearly clever attempt at a personal slight????

Ace, this Para-God complex is just that, a complex if it exists. It isn't limited to just Paramedics and it isn't just limited to EMS. You can have a Copa-God, Nursea-God, Doctor (they are god), Lawyera-God, Plumbera-God, etc. Anytime someone thinks they are the epitome of what they do.

I don't think your examples of these crews reflects this. I just think they were just plain dumb, not Para-God like. Are these crews acting like this the result of a complex, a poorly run system, poor training, or combination?

I guess I should just never get sick in your area. Where are you by the way? ;)

Ace, this Para-God complex is just that, a complex if it exists. It isn't limited to just Paramedics and it isn't just limited to EMS. You can have a Copa-God, Nursea-God, Doctor (they are god), Lawyera-God, Plumbera-God, etc. Anytime someone thinks they are the epitome of what they do.

I don't think your examples of these crews reflects this. I just think they were just plain dumb, not Para-God like. Are these crews acting like this the result of a complex, a poorly run system, poor training, or combination?

I guess I should just never get sick in your area. Where are you by the way? ;)

ummm...in that big country south of Canada aka: America..... :D:)