Paragod: Fact or Fiction?

Dustdevil

Paragod: Fact or Fiction?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• I agree. This whole "paragod" thing is bogus.
    • I disagree. I know lots of guys who were great before becoming a paramedic.
    • I disagree, because it is my life's mission to disagree with everything Dustdevil says.
    • WTF? (or for our Canadian friends, "eh?")

I have never met a "para-god" until I came to this site....any such thing as a "para-goddess?" No wait...she's not a paramedic...just BLS..so it would be a para-goddess wanna be..hehehehe

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never met a "para-god" until I came to this site....any such thing as a "para-goddess?" No wait...she's not a paramedic...just BLS..so it would be a para-goddess wanna be..hehehehe

I'm a para-wish I could be....ahhhh..yeah, well then there's...ahhh....no wait, gonna be??? how bout in progress...yeah, yeah...ahhh..ummmm....rrrrrriiiggghhhhtttttt......

LOL

Ace

Going a little tangential, has anyone who is BLS been victim of "Paramedic Shove?" This happens when someone of higher medical training physically pushes the lower level medically trained persons on the scene prior to their arrival out of the way, doesn't listen to a presentation by the lower level trained crew, and in a couple of cases I have been a part of, threw out the lower level trained crew's paperwork (NYS DoH law mandates that a call report be generated by the CFRs, the BLS, and the ALS for any patient contacts, even when all 3 reports are on the same patient).

This is not restricted to practitioners of ALS, as I've had partners at BLS level push First Responders, and First Responders push First Aiders.

;) HAHAHA why yes "could you tone out someone to drive me." Ummmm, nevermind could you tone out a basic to assist. No, I need a driver. On the other hand, I have been shoved off a truck for a FF..... WTF?!?!?! =;

I think there are such things as paragods, but I think you're right in that they have probably been jerks all their lives, and just happen to be in that position, rather than vice versa.

I think though, we need a non-obscene word for the BLS version. That is, an EMT who walks around like they know "the real deal", like to critique medics, and usually spend most of their time complaining about the "lack of BLS experience" of a paramedic, no matter how long they were an EMT. Let's see... EMTampon, no, ummmm Basic Life Slacker, nope...ummmm....well Randy Rescue was good, but that's more than something else.... We used to use "Medic hater" in TOP class, I dunno. Someone creative come up with something.

I think though, we need a non-obscene word for the BLS version. That is, an EMT who walks around like they know "the real deal", like to critique medics, and usually spend most of their time complaining about the "lack of BLS experience" of a paramedic, no matter how long they were an EMT.

I'd like to call them "unemployed." ;)

I'd like to call them "unemployed." ;)

Yes, but lets not discount the occasion which sometimes one comes upon whereby the Basic has to take the time to explain to the Paramedic the phys, pathophys, and why they should be ALSing a sick patient and the paramedic does the "huh....what...hey, how do you know that...""?!?!?!?!?

It's always a sad day when the basic is smarter than the medic..!!!! Some days, it happens alot more than it should....

ace844

I have a theory that the entire theory of so-called "paragods" is factually invalid.

In my experience, those paramedics who are egotistical jerks were egotistical jerks well before they became a paramedic. They were jerks as EMTs. They were jerks in EMT school. And they were probably jerks in high school too.

I do not believe that it is a common phenomenon for simply being a paramedic to actually contribute significantly to ones jerkism. And therefore, the term, as well as the theory of, "paragod" is not based upon a foundation of fact, but merely utilized in much the same manner as a racial slur.

Comment?

I agree 100%, although I'm worried that some on here might not have the sense of humor to both understand and laugh at the "para-god" syndrome.

I agree 100%, although I'm worried that some on here might not have the sense of humor to both understand and laugh at the "para-god" syndrome.

You have to just laugh...don't take it to heart...shake your head and just walk away.

Don't get me wrong, they are funny to laugh at; but there are some that need to be delt with because they won't know when to stop because to them...they have no limits. There are however; some really good paramedics with that kind of complex.

Don't get me wrong, they are funny to laugh at; but there are some that need to be delt with because they won't know when to stop because to them...they have no limits. There are however; some really good paramedics with that kind of complex.

Hi All,

I agree with you alittle "Nate" and will elaborate on this abit. I have been thinking about this for abit and I have come tothe following conclusion. The following is JMHLO/ .001.... I guess today may not be a med compliant day for me so I'm going to rant abit...please excuse me while I do so... ;):) ahahahaahah

This whole "Paragod complex" has been partly developed, and abused out of some of the necessities of our profession. Perhaps some of these observations are limited to my own narrow experience, and if so please disregard them at your discression.

When a first started doing this I worked with providers who were very knowledgeable, experienced, took pride in what they do and as a whole it was a work environment that fostered peer pressure to learn, accel at your skills and knowledge, be professional, and grow. If you didn't have a desire to learn, be good at what you do, participate as part of the team and were unable to do your fair share, then you weren't welcome. As a result there were more than a few providers who may have fit into your definition of a "paragod". Although I believe there were a few glaring differneces. Even though they had a "cocky attitude" they were able to back up their statements with actions, verifiable knowledge, confidence, compassion,as well as a drive to continuously improve themselves and those around them. So I think that in this debate it is important to differentiate between a "confident provider" whom may exhibit some of the traits of a "paragod", yet is in fact vastly different, and a "Paragod".

The difference between the 2 you ask, is that the negative version of the "Paragod" complex mentioned in the majority of the posts here will be unable to do any of the things I have previously mentioned and will use a condescending demeanor, to mask their lack of confidence, to perform their function in EMS; both in themselves, and their abilities. The bigger problems begin to ensue when these incompetent "paragods" believe they are infact "competent," despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. Then they become a danger to all around them, and more importantly a detriment to patient care!!!! This is an important distinction, and I think we have both poulations here on this board...

out here,

Ace844