Paragod: Fact or Fiction?

Dustdevil

Paragod: Fact or Fiction?  

36 members have voted

1. 1.

• I agree. This whole "paragod" thing is bogus.
    • I disagree. I know lots of guys who were great before becoming a paramedic.
    • I disagree, because it is my life's mission to disagree with everything Dustdevil says.
    • WTF? (or for our Canadian friends, "eh?")

I have a theory that the entire theory of so-called "paragods" is factually invalid.

In my experience, those paramedics who are egotistical jerks were egotistical jerks well before they became a paramedic. They were jerks as EMTs. They were jerks in EMT school. And they were probably jerks in high school too.

I do not believe that it is a common phenomenon for simply being a paramedic to actually contribute significantly to ones jerkism. And therefore, the term, as well as the theory of, "paragod" is not based upon a foundation of fact, but merely utilized in much the same manner as a racial slur.

Comment?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are Paragods.. even some who are ex's... the same as new graduate nurses that have the RN'itis syndrome. Some medics are so full of themselves to actually think they "cure" or "save" people... we just temporary postpone death. I have actually watched new Paramedics attempt to critique physicians ECG interpretation.... you mean 10 weeks ago the one you couldn't read ?..... and now your an expert ?....You got a job to do,do it well, like you are supposed to. To actually think you have grasped emergency medicine in a 16 week to 1 yr course.. geez.. Most of these so-called "Para-Gods" exposure to any medicine is the few hundred hour clinicals and watching t.v. reruns of ER and some sitcom...

Yes, some were jerks before and some might been in hibernation..... Thank god they usually don't last long.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

I disagree, and there was no option for me to select.

I believe that there are indeed 'Para-gods'. These individuals (regardless of their level of hubris pre-medic) have had their heads grown in the fertile land that is EMS, and have been soaked by eager, easy to impress EMT's.

Oh, yes...I have seen the Para-god...they do exist.

Going a little tangential, has anyone who is BLS been victim of "Paramedic Shove?" This happens when someone of higher medical training physically pushes the lower level medically trained persons on the scene prior to their arrival out of the way, doesn't listen to a presentation by the lower level trained crew, and in a couple of cases I have been a part of, threw out the lower level trained crew's paperwork (NYS DoH law mandates that a call report be generated by the CFRs, the BLS, and the ALS for any patient contacts, even when all 3 reports are on the same patient).

This is not restricted to practitioners of ALS, as I've had partners at BLS level push First Responders, and First Responders push First Aiders.

yes there is a such thing as a paragod, theyre everywhere. Best way to deal with them, dont give them the satisfaction of shoving people around, but dont argue with them.

Granted they know alot, but you also have people who know so much they actually believe they know it all (IE- Steve) and will take pleasure in making everyone else look and feel stupid.

Alot of the Paragod are Medics who have just graduated from Medic school and believe they have every right to trample on everyone else. And they have little to no street experience. I honestly believe that the state needs to have a mandatory 1 year experience as a basic before enrolling in ALS courses, you get to know how it really works for a basic and how much a Medic really needs his basic to help out on scene. Arkansas used to have a 5year waiting period back in the early 80s to mid 90s.

Perhaps this little "waiting period" might actually help curb the paragod syndrome and also "wash out" those who may not be able to make it in EMS.

-Alco

Hail to the Paragods!! Yes I know several of them and have yet to determine if they were actually nice intelligent individuals before they recieved a certain Medic status or if they are and were always retarded jerks. I guess I have to side with DustDevil on this one.

I have experienced the "Paramedic Shove" only twice and have found that a properly positioned and firmly placed boot on the posterior side of the shover seems to cure the issue quite well. ;)

We are there to tend to the needs of the patient and not to see who can shine the brightest!!

I have also seen many days where the EMT saved the Medic from making huge errors.

My point is made.

Have a great day to all of you here in EmtCity....