2012 NYC Marathon

Richard B the EMT

Controversy surrounds NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg, first from insisting resources needed for the 2012 ING NYC Marathon won't detract from Hurricane Sandy's recovery effort, then from his about-face and cancellation of the event.

He had compared holding the event this year to the marathon in 2001. NO comparison! In 2001, we held it to indicate we weren't giving in to "the bad guys". There's no "bad guys" to impress after a natural disaster, just victims, of which I am one.

Now, would be marathoners are complaining about the cancellation, due to the 5:30 PM Friday announcement. How dare they complain, as they were going to be running through some of the devestated areas, starting with the starting line in Staten Island. They normally close the Verrizano Narrows ridge for the race, which can block for hours any Island access of food, bottled water, pumps, or electric generators. It's been suggested the runners show a cooperative spirit by assisting in food and water distribution, or simply accepting their monitary lossesand go home, opening up hotel space for storm displaced families.

• Like 1

I can't help but to agree. When I first heard they were still planning on holding it my comment was like "Are they f***ing nuts?" I'm going on day 6 of no power here and PSE&G is telling us that we won't likely see any until at least next weekend. Mind you, every street surrounding mine has power. My uncle and I drove out to PA Tuesday to buy a generator (Cabela's FTW!). The store was running on a generator themselves and was open ONLY to sell propane heaters and generators which they had stock piled in front by customer service.

Just wait for the Blizzard... then of course the sudden warm up into the 70's three days later. So.. The flood.

That's what caused the flooding in Grand Forks, North Dakota, in the late winter/early fall of the mid 1990s.

I am sorry and sympathetic towards my New York bretheren in EMS. I am not usually political, but your mayor is an idiot. They should have cancelled immediately and not have the publicity.

If they run it, why don't they have the runners 'run' the provisions up the 20+ flight of steps to the elderly that can't get it for themselves......

• Like 1