Sandy

Richard B the EMT

Richard,

You and your family are in my prayers.

Hello, Everyone.

As always, these "news-blasts" are sent "blind carbon copy" for privacy

concerns, and apologize for inadvertent multiple sends to multiple

e-mail addresses.

As of noon, 11-13-2012, the updates are as follows...

Momma B is to be transferred back to the Assisted Living Center,from New York Hospital of Queens, later this afternoon,where we'll have someone keeping an eye on her for at least the next 24 hours. If deemed necessary, we'll extend that on a day by day basis. I feel a

great deal of helplessness, having to do most of my taking care of her

by long distance "remote control", but family members are all

supportive of me, as her health proxy,

While she was in the hospital, she's been visited by her son in law,

grandson, and two close family friends, as well as my girlfriend and

myself.

My girlfriend and I continue the shuttle, every few days, between our

houses in Belle Harbor, from the motel in Montgomery, NY, to check on

ongoing repairs, and pull our mail from the mailboxes. Still under

presumption the Breaker-box will need total rewiring due to salt water

immersion, before we can power up and run the (hopefully) repaired

furnace and hot water boiler (or more likely replaced units).

We also stopped by the West End Temple Sinai Congregation, my house of Worship, and were amazed and dismayed by

the multiple warps of the floors in both the sanctuary and auditorium.

Our Torahs had been removed for safekeeping somewhere in Brooklyn, and

were not harmed, however.

Next trip to visit mom, and the Rockaways, barring unforeseen

circumstances, is going to be Thursday, when I have a face to face at

the house with the Flood Insurance Investigator.

Good luck to us all!

Richard B.

• Like 1

Rich,

I hope things progress for you and the family.

Did he mention that equipment donations like engine companies and ambulances are coming into the affected areas, to replace equipment destroyed by Sandy? Rockaway Point VFD & EMS, Roxbury VFD & EMS, Point Breeze VFD (first due for the 100+ structures fire), Broad Channel VFD & EMS, and West Hamilton Beach VFD & EMS in Queens County, and the Gerritsen Beach VFD & EMS in Brooklyn have all gotten apparatus, hoses, medical supplies, and assorted other etceteras from all over the country.Great use for fully functional vehicles retired simply due to age. One department got a Hurst Jaws of Life set.

(side note: all these volunteer fire and rescue departments border, or are surrounded by, the Jamaica Bay, and within 5 miles of my house).

On the personal side, Momma B is back at the assisted living center, and will be getting physical therapy thereat.

He did mention the cash donations, but he gave a special shoutout to First Responders in the Rockway, Point Breeze, and others. He'd mentioned that many of the first responders in the city lived in those areas and had lost everything, yet were still coming in to work. You could likely still see the episode online, I can't link to it because I'm in Canada, but it aired on Monday night.

Glad to hear that MommaB is being well cared for.

Edited by Arctickat

I am pleased to see you made it out alright, all things considering. In Bergen County NJ where I live, we were without power for 10 days. My aunt only JUST got hers back this past Saturday. With the gas restrictions that were put up, my uncle was just like f**k it. We drove out to PA, filled up there with our gas cans as well, and drove back. The Tues. after the storm, we actually drove out to Hamburg PA to go to Cabela's to get a generator. They were open, running on one themselves, to sell only propane heaters and generators. We didn't bother even trying anything local by us knowing. My grandfather was in the hospital that Friday before until that Tuesday (ended up back in a week later) but he was safe from the storm itself but said the winds were horrid against the windows of his room in the hospital and kept him up.

Hello, Everyone.

As always, these "news-blasts" are sent "blind carbon copy" for privacy

concerns, and apologize for inadvertent multiple sends to multiple

e-mail addresses.

As of noon, 11-13-2012, the updates are as follows...

Snip

My girlfriend and I continue the shuttle, every few days, between our

houses in Belle Harbor, from the motel in Montgomery, NY, to check on

ongoing repairs, and pull our mail from the mailboxes. Still under

presumption the Breaker-box will need total rewiring due to salt water

immersion, before we can power up and run the (hopefully) repaired

furnace and hot water boiler (or more likely replaced units).

Snip

Good luck to us all!

Richard B.

Richard

If the governer of New York does decide to allow out of area electricians to work in the releif effort let me know and I will make your house my objective. I am an electrician by craft and a volunteer firefighter rescuer by avocation. I would be happy to help you do any rewiring that is required. I have the equipment needed to test your surviving wiring for any problems and identify what needs replacing without pulling out everything in the house. Just let me know what is will work for you and I will be there.

--

Tom Horne

Edited by mffrhorne

Thanks for the offer. I have an electrician from New Paltz, NY coming in to look at the wiring, and an inspector from FEMA is supposed to be there tomorrow, too (check date and time of this posting).

From the NY State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association:

It has been 3 weeks since Hurricane Sandy crashed into New York devastating the southern coast of New York. The damage that was done was indescribable. Lives were lost, homes and property destroyed and in many areas, the infrastructure crippled. During and after the storm, NYSVARA member agencies mobilized to assist their communities. A call went out to our colleagues across the state for help. The response has been overwhelming.

Every sector of Emergency Services in the State of New York, as well as, many companies and other organizations reached out and provided ambulances, supplies, equipment and support to the relief effort. As a result of this collaborative effort, many agencies which three weeks ago were rendered helpless are now up and running and serving their communities. They are not only providing emergency services, but also assisting their citizens with their basic needs.

Whether you donated an ambulance, supplies, equipment, manpower, thoughts or prayers, I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support. Below are reports from various agencies who have been working tirelessly in the relief effort.

I would also like to share the following government assistance information:

ALL volunteers and the agencies that were affected by Sandy are encouraged to apply for assistance by calling FEMA at 800-621-3362 or online at www.disasterassistance.gov

Agencies who sustained damage are also encouraged to attend an Applicant Briefing Session to see how they can obtain funds to replace and/or rebuild their operations and cover their losses. Apply even though you have insurance. In New York State, the Applicant Briefing schedule is online at DHSES.NY.GOV. For NYC Not for Profit agencies, briefing sessions are scheduled for this week at 49-51 Chambers Street (alongside City Hall) at 10AM and 2PM. Feel free to contact the Association with any questions and we will direct them to our State and Federal partners as needed.

Lastly, I want to share with all of you, something I recently saw:

"Thank you, God for all the ways you bless us every day. May we always have a thankful heart."

Happy Thanksgiving and BE SAFE!

Michael J. Mastrianni, Jr.

President

New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, Inc.

PO Box 254

East Schodack, NY 12063

www.nysvara.org

(877) NYSVARA (Office)

(845) 416-5528 (Direct)

NYSVARA District 4 57.png

As proven time and time again, in times like these, the volunteer Ambulance Corps' and Volunteer Fire Departments of New York City put aside their families and put themselves at risk, to help save and serve others. These communities also put aside their boundaries and become a united family.

For instance, in Glendale, we were out there since Saturday morning trying to educate people to prepare, handing out OEM Hurricane brochures, and were in service in the storm and post storm. We cut down over 100 trees that had fallen, opening up roads for emergency vehicles, assisting other emergency services remove victims from their vehicles trapped under trees, and in local areas that were affected by flooding. Other Services like the Forest Hills VAC, Glen Oaks VAC, Central Park Medical Unit and Corona VAC assisted in evacuating Bellevue Hospital, NYU Hospital and several Nursing Homes. While other volunteer Ambulance and First Responder groups covered their areas, responding to numerous calls, and assisting in their community's needs. Glen Oaks also set up a collection site for donated goods, and the Forest Hills VAC assisted in donating items to affected squads. Services in Far Rockaway such as Point Breeze VFD, Roxbury VFD, Rockaway Point VFD, Broad Channel VFD and West Hamilton VFD, lost everything, including their Ambulances and Fire Trucks, not to mention their rescue equipment and personal protective equipment. Also, many of the Staten Island squads were hit hard. There are two volunteer Ambulance services, and a volunteer Fire Department on Staten Island. Richmond County VFD lost equipment and bunker gear while responding to people stuck in their homes, using a small boat.

Immediately following the Hurricane, these volunteer services continued to step up and show their commitment to their communities, their commitment to the Emergency Medical and Fire Suppression community, and to the City of New York as a whole. The Volunteer Fire Departments in West Hamilton Beach, Broad Channel, Roxbury, Rockaway Point, and Point Breeze immediately regrouped and went out into their communities, amongst the floodwaters and danger to ensure the safety of their residents; as was the case in almost every community serviced by a Volunteer Ambulance or Fire Department. These members put their own lives at risk to cut down trees, rescue residents from cars and homes. They organized to open up roadways, and ensuring that the safety of their residents was paramount.

The Volunteer Fire Departments went a step further in the aftermath of this devastating hurricane. These volunteer Fire Departments became the central receiving facilities, command centers, and shelters for their communities. Opening up their doors, although destroyed, but

nonetheless opened up for the community. They provided a central place of comfort, and the promise of survival. In the days to come, and still to this day, these fire departments remain the central command center in those communities. The NYPD, FDNY, Homeland Security, FEMA

and the NYSVARA continue to check in with these departments to ensure their needs are met. The Chiefs and members of these organizations, having lost everything, have again put themselves and their destroyed homes aside, to help their neighbors, showing extreme courage and volunteerism.

The New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, District 4, immediately took action as well. As the Chairman, I immediately reached out to every single volunteer

Ambulance, Fire, First Response agency and College Based EMS squad for an update and needs assessment, and immediately sent out requests for assistance via our emergency one call system, and our Jim Downey email system. We put out a request for assistance from every medical supply company, fire Supply Company, Ambulance service, private company and large corporation, and we even sent out requests for help from the City Council, State Senate and

State Assembly. We contacted the NYSVARA for assistance in spreading the word as well, and they immediately sent out notice to squads throughout the state.

The response was overwhelming, and the appreciation to these organizations and companies is unimaginable. We have received donations from multiple volunteer ambulance services and volunteer fire departments throughout the state and country, companies like porta-brace, Physio Control, Zoll, Medline, Folgers, Carhart, and so many more. I thank each and every one of you.

To date:

We have received new tech bags for each affected squad from Porta-Brace, turnout gear, helmets, AEDs, suction units, gear bags, boots, basic medical equipment, and much much more.

They received turnout gear and hose cleaner as well. The district delivered multiple boxes of medical gear, including gloves and BLS equipment on several occasions to all squads, 10 plus

full sets of turnout gear, helmets and boots to Broad Channel, West Hamilton, Point Breeze, Rockaway Point , Gerrittsen Beach, Roxbury and Richmond Volunteer Fire Departments. The district also delivered lines of 1 3/4 fire hose to all and a Jaws of life to West Hamilton Beach VFD. Almost every other day, each Volunteer Fire Department receives several additional boxes of medical equipment, batteries, cleaning supplies, and several other needed items. Broad Channel, West Hamilton and Gerrittsen Beach have been given 6 each: saber radios, chargers and equipment to replace their communications equipment.

Each Volunteer Fire Department is now in service due to the donated Fire Trucks and Ambulances from departments throughout New York State and beyond. Not to the levels they were pre-storm, but nonetheless, they are in service for their communities, and starting the rebuilding process.

Rockaway point and Roxbury received vehicles from Maimonides hospital, however, both have been deemed unusable. However, Rockaway Point received a loaner 4x4 Ambulance from North Shore LIJ Hospital, and the district delivered an Ambulance donated from WAVES Ambulance to Roxbury Volunteer Fire Department. North Shore LIJ Hospital has also offered additional vehicles and long term assistance to the volunteers. Broad Channel Volunteer Fire Department received Ambulance donations from the Glendale Volunteer Ambulance Corps, and the Sag Harbor volunteer Ambulance Corps. Gerritsen Beach will be receiving an Ambulance from Scho-Wright VAC in the coming days.

District 4 has secured and delivered defibrillators to West Hamilton Beach VFD, Broad Channel VFD, Roxbury VFD and Gerrittsen Beach VFD. We are awaiting additional units to be updated and stocked to be distributed to the remaining services. The district also secured light towers with generators from OEM for Broad Channel, so that they would have power and lighting immediately following the storm. The towers were delivered within an hour of our request.

The district has also been working with Assemblyman Micahel Millers Office, Council Woman Elizabeth Crowley's Office, the Glendale Civilian patrol, the Glendale Kiwanis Club, the Glendale Volunteer ambulance Corps, along with members from the Middle Village VAC,

Jamaica Estates VAC, Emergency Medical Rescue, Bethel VAC and the CB 5 Community Emergency Response Team delivering food and needed supplies to these Volunteer Fire Departments. They have made over 100 trips to West Hamilton, Broad Channel and the Rockaways, and numerous trips to Gerritsen beach VFD. To date we have delivered over 1000 bags of clothing and several thousand pounds of food, pet food, cleaning supplies, diapers, baby items, toys, car seats, over 500 cases of water, blankets and too much to list. These items were also delivered to several churches in Far Rockaway including DeSalles on beach 129 st., a small church on Beach 105 and a community organization on Mott street, and many more locations. We have delivered needed supplies to the Kentucky Disaster Relief team, including lodging at a local church in Glendale, meals, warm clothing and transportation.

This is the team that is making the meals for the Red Cross.

We are still receiving equipment on a daily basis and will continue to distribute these items to the squads.

However, it is time to change our focus slightly at this time from a recovery operation into a long term rebuilding operation. We need to focus on not only continuing to supply needed items to these organizations, but also focus on their members. A long term plan to ensure that the volunteers are kept safe and are taken care of as well, will be of utmost importance in the weeks and months to come. District 4 has teamed up with the Hancock Hope Foundation, and several other volunteer Ambulance and Fire Departments that have offered assistance with long term deployments when needed.

Also, we need to focus on the communities. These communities were hit hard. These communities are very family oriented and very close knit. There are many children in these areas that have lost everything, toys, school items, etc. These communities also lost schools and day care centers.

We need to start focusing on the children. With the rapidly approaching holiday season, we need to start helping the children rebuild as well. The NYSVARA district 4, hosts its annual toy drive

at its December membership meeting, however, we have teamed up this year with several volunteer ambulance corps and local community groups to collect unwrapped toys for all age groups. Over the next few weeks, we will be collecting these toys to be distributed by Santa

Claus on top of Fire Trucks and Ambulances in the affected areas. This will hopefully bring back some positive morale for these departments and bring back some comfort to the children and families who have been hit so hard.

A special thank you to all of those who have helped, been helping on a daily basis. To Assemblyman Michael Millers Office, especially Dorie Opitz who has put in an amazing amount of work helping set up and coordinate efforts. Thank you to Atlas Mall and Council Member

Elizabeth Crowleys office.

For information on how to donate, please contact me at District4Chair@Gmail.com .

For More information on where to help or donate for the Toy Drive please contact me at EMSSANTACLAUS@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Ryan Gunning

Chairman

NYSVARA, District 4

Glen Oaks Volunteer Ambulance 58.jpg

With the information provided on the impending storm, GOVAC staff pre-planned their response and sustainment activities well in advance and was able to staff all three of their ambulances from Sunday before the storm through Wednesday evening post storm.

During the height of the storm, our crews responded to a call for assistance in a Bellerose apartment complex, where the patient required emergency assistance and had to be carried down 7 flights of stairs due to a loss of power in the area.Even with obstructions from downed trees, two of our crews worked their way through the obstacles, but still had to walk in on foot with equipment and then carry the person over and around these trees to our ambulance.

When NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan lost power, one of our crews were activated by the Regional EMS Council to provide evacuation support for the many patients that were still in the hospital during the storm. We were also a safe haven for our members and their families who lost power during the storm or encountered damage to their residences and vehicles.

On Tuesday after the storm, we were also activated to participate in Task Force of EMS resources to begin evacuating the Medical Facilities in the Rockaways. Since the 911 system was overburdened, our Glen Oaks crew was tasked with becoming the Transport Manager and successfully completed the evacuation of 171 patients from Resort Nursing Home.

These emergency activities and responses are unprecedented in nature, as our ambulances usually support the 911 system during disasters. However, our volunteers shined and showed that they are the best of the best when crisis strikes.

When the increased response efforts were not required, our Adult and Youth members planned a Hurricane Sandy Donation Drive, to supplement the recovery efforts of government, private and not for profit entities.

To date, we have distributed assistance to our Queens communities of West Hamilton Beach, Breezy Point, Broad Channel, Far Rockaway, Arverne and Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn. The overwhelming support has also permitted us to extend our support to Long Beach and Oceanside in Nassau County, as well as sheltering locations in John Jay and Queens College. As this storm has affected so many people in so many areas, so will our relief efforts.

This planning, response and relief effort has become an "all hands on deck" request and our volunteers have risen to the challenge by maintaining community operations as well as conducting these additional relief efforts. We are all proud of everything we have been able to be a part of and have accomplished thus far.

New York Emergency & First Response 59.jpg

As an update, we are pleased to say that the efforts throughout our area have been remarkable. We have seen what we believe to be the first positive day since Hurricane Sandy devastated the area on October 29, 2012. During our most recent trips to deliver donations to Hamilton Beach, Howard Beach and Breezy Point, the streets are finally being cleared by Sanitation Dept., damaged cars are being removed, the pantries and drop-off locations were stocked with food, clothing, blankets, pet foods, cleaning supplies, and baby items. There were reports that many in the area have finally had power restored and clean-up crews from all over were volunteering to help with the rebuilding efforts.

Through the generosity of Assemblyman Mike Miller, Senator Joseph Addabbo and their office staff, as well as many local associations and restaurants, hot meals have been available throughout each day. Because of the abundance of the donations, they are being sent as quickly as they are requested with more items arriving from local areas and as far as California. We can't thank everyone enough for their generosity and support in helping in this time of devastation.

Although some centers are filled to capacity or will be consolidating within the next week, there are still plenty of supplies but more help is needed for the construction and physical work of cleaning up, so residents can start rebuilding their homes.

With Thanksgiving approaching, local business have plans are underway to serve hot Thanksgiving meals by going door to door with care packages for the residents of Hamilton Beach, so that while others are celebrating, these families are not forgotten as many of their homes are destroyed.

Many of the local volunteer ambulance and fire departments are working together to obtain replacement vehicles and equipment for those that have lost everything. The Terry Farrell Firefighter Fund has been instrumental in obtaining ambulances and engines for our friends at the West Hamilton Beach Fire Department, Broad Channel Fire Dept., and Island Park Fire Dept., a Long Island squad. The support is nothing short of amazing! Medical and legal clinics are being set-up at various locations to help those who may need these services but cannot afford them.

Please help spread the word of an upcoming blood drive.

Blood donations have been reduced since Hurricane Sandy - if you can't volunteer with recovery relief, there is another way to help!

*UPCOMMING EVENT*

BLOOD DRIVE: Date: 12/8/12 Times: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

Place: OFFICE OF ASSEMBLYMAN MIKE MILLER 83-91 Woodhaven Blvd, Woodhaven NY 11421

For more information, please contact the QHN Blood Donor Program at 718-334-2023 or donateblood@nychhc.org

We continue to provide anyone in need with resources that are available. As we receive verified information, it will be posted on our website at NewYorkEFR.org. and on our Facebook page to be shared with the public. Thank you once again for your help.

New York Emergency & First Response Inc.

Thomas J. Cacaci Jr. Linda F. Minervini

FYI, Rockaway Point, Roxbury, Point Breeze (AKA Breezy Point), Broad Channel, and West Hamilton Beach are individual communities in Queens County, Gerritsen Beach is Brooklyn, and Richmond County VFD is Staten Island.