Sandy

Richard B the EMT

As most of the EMT City folks in the US and Canada know, the eastern seaboard suffered a massive blow due to Hurricane Sandy. Power, and thus heating systems, are off line for a few million people in several states.

My neighboring community of Breezy Point (AKA Point Breeze) suffered a fire that distroyed 80 to 100 homes, dispite best efforts of the Point Breeze, Rockaway Point, Roxbury VFDs and the FDNY. The Rockaway Beach area suffered a fire in the business district, taking out numerous stores along Rockaway Beach Blvd from Beach 113th to 116th Streets. Belle Harbor lost a local eatery, that took out at least 6 homes behind it. The Rockaway Boardwalk had sections moved over 3 blocks, punching holes in buildings as they went by, Cars are piled up on top of each other from the storm surge, which must have come in like a Tsunami, estimated as a 14 foot high wave.

Momma B, Lady J, her brother and I evacuated to an aunt's house in Flushing Sunday night. Power went off 6:50 PM, Momma B, disoriented by the different place, and in the darkness, fell, 911 called, transported to hospital, checked, X-Rayed and cleared, but the quartet then relocated to a cousin's house in Forest Hills. After 2 nights there, for her safety, Momma B was entered into an Assisted Living Center, arranged by my sister in law in North Dakota, and after that, the brother went to a friend's in Brooklyn, Lady J and I are now 2 nights at a Super 8 motel in Montgomery, somewhere near Newburg's Stewart Airport, NY, arranged by my sister currently located in Vermont somewhere..

The water came up so high, with the house side door already 8 inches above the driveway, and the driveway at least 2 feet above the street, the high tide mark was at the doorknob. Water marks showed the level almost to the first floor. The front foundation is undemined a bit, and everything in the basement was flushed onto the basement stairs, or piled in front of the gas meter and circuit breaker box, and filthy black ocean bottom sand is covering everything. I'm presuming the furnace, hot water boiler and the freezer need replacement, as well as the external unit from my central air conditioner. That sand, in the streets and sidewalks, varies from a sprinkling to several packed feet deep.

I know of 3 deaths on the Rockaways Peninsula, and the papers report at least 40 deaths from Virginia to Connecticut. Tolls may still rise. I know I'm not the only EMT suffering, as well as the other coastal living EMTs Paramedics Fire fighters and LEOs, but wanted to let all know I am still alive.

Good luck to all of us affected by Sandy.

Thanks for checking in Richard. Glad to see you made it out . I have a customer down in breezy point that lost everything they own except what they packed into the minivan as they fled the surge. They are here in Maine roughing it at their summer cottage and may be spending the winter here until they can rebuild. They said when they last saw their street the water was up to the middle of the first floor windows and then the fire took care of the rest.

Our thoughts go out to all who suffered losses.

The following placard was found attached to the front door. What was hand written is indicated as such here. Placard is in Red, probably to get our attention, and per neighbors, can be changed after a more full inspection by the engineers. It appears to be a standard form and format.

This is quoted as it appeared, and there was no contact number.

Unsafe Area

Do Not Enter or Occupy.

This area was found to be seriously damaged, or structures around area pose a serious hazard.Area is unsafe to enter or occupy as described below:

(Handwritten)

Undermined Footing-Front (Exposure 1)

Do Not Enter, except as specifically authorized in writing by jurisdiction. Entry may result in death or injury.

Date

(Handwritten)

11-03-2012

Time

(Handwritten)

3:30 PM

Name and Address, Facility Fronting Unsafe Area:

(Handwritten)

(Redacted for my privacy)

Inspected Under Emergency Conditions

Inspector ID / Agency

(Handwritten)

D. Burkhart / DOB

Do Not Remove, Alter, or Cover This Placard until authorized by Governing Authority.

NYC Buildings.

After fighting traffic all day to get down to my sister's house, then driving to mine and finding the placard,having to turn away 2 workers who were supposed to clear the basement with supplies I paid for, fighting the worst traffic jams I've seen in years to visit my mom, bringing my sister's mail to my nephew's house in the Bronx and having the GPS insist I go on the I-95 to get there, while seeing the roadway was better as a parking lot due to downed wires IN FORT LEE, NJ causing the backup, my sister calls and insists I give her the nonexistent contact number, and when I tried telling her there was no such number, got on my case! My brother in law got on the phone to yell at her, as I began to cry.

I didn't need this crap with the strain I'm under, with putting mom in the facility, fighting the worst traffic jams I've experienced in years, watching the on-board computer tell me how many miles my diminishing fuel supply will take me, trying to do the right thing regarding my house, all while running on 2 dry squares of waffles and a couple ounces of orange juice, over 10 hours.

PTSD? HELL NO! I am probably clinically depressed, and need to pursue the Employee Assistance Program.

Forgive me, as I was venting with my last posting. Sister gave me grief due to a telephone fight she had just come off of. She's apologized.

Unfortunately, all anyone can do for me, personally, is prayer, and at this point, all denominations (except those requiring human sacrifice) are being accepted.

On the larger side, $alvation Army, American Red Cro$$, and other major di$a$ter a$$i$tance group$ could use donation$ to assist folks in all the affected regions.