Oh Dwayne! Stool samples needed from peeps in tropical places.

Emergency Laughter

So....how is everyone's scatalogical studies going? Are your studies firm and well formed? They aren't dark and tarry are they? Do you study one or two times a day? No studies in the swimming pool now!

Three Dutch medical schools are asking thousands of travelers to tropical countries to donate stool samples for a study into the rise in antibiotic-resistant bacterial infections.

Naturally, I thought of DwayneEMTP...you know....for the study...

Imagine the lost and found: "Dear Sir or Ms, An item with your name on it was turned in to our office. If you do not retrieve the item within the next 30 days, we will be forced to sell it at public auction."

See Patton, I love the way that you think...

You know Mike, I would be happy to collect for such a study, but man, getting them out of the country in a timely manner would maybe be tough...not sure. Maybe those doing the studies could make a deal with the cooperating countries...but PNG has many secrets that might make them leery of participating...for instance, according to the govt, there's no HIV/Aids in PNG to speak of...

On a serious note, the potential for a serious breakthrough in treating a deadly, drug resistant superinfection may exist. It's known as foecal transplantation and limited data indicates it may significantly impact our ability to treat [ C. diff ] super infections. It may be funny but the importance of this type of research cannot be over-emphasised.

Are the superinfections a significant issue at this time? Are they predicted to be radically significant in the future?

In PNG, at least in some of the areas that I've been in, antibiotics are handed out like water. Amoxycillin is the cure all from headaches to the common cold...the healthcare providers understand, many of them at least, that this is innefective for most things, but the local populations have seen people get healthy after treatment with it, for appropriate issues, and extrapolate that to an almost magical cure for everything, and it's easier for the HCPs to simply hand it out instead of arguing with them..

• 2 weeks later...

Are the superinfections a significant issue at this time? Are they predicted to be radically significant in the future?

In PNG, at least in some of the areas that I've been in, antibiotics are handed out like water. Amoxycillin is the cure all from headaches to the common cold...the healthcare providers understand, many of them at least, that this is innefective for most things, but the local populations have seen people get healthy after treatment with it, for appropriate issues, and extrapolate that to an almost magical cure for everything, and it's easier for the HCPs to simply hand it out instead of arguing with them..

Too bad placebo's can't make a comeback.

Superinfections are huge and the problem is only getting worse.

You ain't just a woofin! We see a lot of necrotizing fasciitis in the OR. Ain't nothin funny about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.