Ok Urban EMT's, Make yourself KNOWN!!!!

Lee County EMS responded to 74,996 calls in 2006 and is projected over 80,000 for 2007

LCEMS has 238 field personel with 28, 24 hour trucks and 5, 12-hour trucks

Urban enough?

LA and Socal baby! 9 million people in the greater Los Angeles area, home of guns, knives and multitudes of illegal and legal drugs..... so Persik and me are in the same size class...on opposite sides of the world eh... :)

Oh yeah my old stomping grounds would be the Bay Area and East Side San Jo is the Arm Pit of the Silicone Valley...Good luck and be safe Byker!

~Ambo

Pretty much the same goes for me, including my old stomping grounds up in San Francisco Bay Area...

Guess she doesn't post here anymore

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Newark, NJ. 130.000 jobs a year with 13 ambulances at the most.

Busiest per-capita system in the nation, and 20th most dangerous.

I've never understood Newark EMS. How many calls is typical? The mythical average crew, where I work, will run 3.4 calls every 10 hours they're on the clock. It seems that you'd be pushing 8-10 calls for every 10 hours worked with those numbers.

Are you just busting nuts to get things done? Is turnover through the roof or do people like the pace of work? You're not going to get bored, that's for sure.

I've never understood Newark EMS. How many calls is typical? The mythical average crew, where I work, will run 3.4 calls every 10 hours they're on the clock. It seems that you'd be pushing 8-10 calls for every 10 hours worked with those numbers.

Are you just busting nuts to get things done? Is turnover through the roof or do people like the pace of work? You're not going to get bored, that's for sure.

You either can handle it, or quit shortly thereafter.

My record for one night is 18 ALS jobs in 12 hours. Included were some cancellations, and 9 or 10 ALS treats. Others have done more; some BLS have done 25 a shift..

I work for Mecklenburg EMS Agency in Charlotte, NC. It is a county agency, with the exception of Mint Hill, is the sole provider of ambulance service for its vast array of citizens and commuter workers. Mecklenburg County emcompasses the city of Charlotte as well as other various small suburbs. Charlotte has a population of close to 800,000 with the whole county having close to a million. Our daytime population is around 1.5 mil thanks to our multiple banking hubs. We cover 544 sq mi utilizing SSM with 40 trucks on during the day and 20 at night roughly. We handle 100,000 calls a year. Now compared to LA or NYC, that may not be busy, but for our growing area it's a lot. We have the "best of both worlds" in that we have the inner city of Charlotte and the farms of Huntersville and Davidson. It's a fun place to work, but has its issue just like any other system. Ya'll stay safe and remember, if its cold, wet, and not yours, don't touch it.

NYC Busy, N'uff said! (enough posts with numbers so won't repeat)

Worst night definitely the blackout, I stopped counting after the second MDT outage, but heard it was the mid 5000's. (Never knew a working elevator filled with piss would be something I would wish for…)

Busiest regular night, this New Year's eve (I have enough seniority so I was off tour three) but hear the count went into the mid 4000's....

Either way, there is enough joy to spread around...

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a firefighter/emt-b in Chicago. We are the second largest Fires Supression & Rescue department in the nation. We serve 2.8 millon residents. Chicago comprises some 250 square miles. We have approximately 5000 firemen and 600 medics. We operate 98 firehouses with 96 engines and 61 trucks. We offer ALS and BLS ambulance services. We also have ALS engines and just put 6 ALS trucks into service.

Our EMS did approximately 300,000 runs in 2007. Engines responded to 224,00 runs (Fire & Special Duty). Trucks responded to 141,000 runs. Busiest engine is engine 55 with 4900 runs in 2007. Busiest truck is Trusk 20 with 3900 runs.

Busiest ALS ambulance did 7800 runs. Ambo 10 is the busiest in the city. I am and EMT-B and ride Ambo 89. Its the busiest BLS rig in the city. Last year 89 did approximately 6000 runs.

Firefighters work 24 and off 48. We work 88+/- 24 hour shifts a year. Single role Medics (Ambulance not cross trained medics on engines or trucks) work 24 and are off 72.

If anyone is interested in our info, there are two resources to go to. Local 2's web site and The Concerned Firefighters Association. Both have test info, general orders and protocols. Look under items of interest on both sites.

Here are the links:

http://www.iaff-local2.org/

http://www.cfdcaffa.com/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.