Ok Urban EMT's, Make yourself KNOWN!!!!

What is a "condition boss"?

I'm being presumptive that this was addressed to me.

A "Conditions Boss" is the lieutenant, or captain, patrolling the district, responding with the units as required, and generally making sure all the crews are doing what they are supposed to be doing, and keeping them safe. The "boss" also is the first EMS officer to respond to assume command at any MCI, relieving the "senior" EMT or Paramedic from the first-in ambulance's command responsibilities at said MCI.

Note: our protocols call any incident that either has generated, or has potential to generate, 5 or more patients, as an MCI (Multiple Casualty Incident).

The station I run with, Station 47, runs 4 BLS, 1 ALS, and 1 ALS HazTec unit, under one lieutenant, splitting his or her time between "patrol" and "administrative" as needed. The radio designation would be "Conditions 47" from my station.

Optimally, there are 2 lieutenants on duty at all times, one on Patrol, one doing administrative duties, on each 8 hour tour, with the captain rotating a week on each tour.

I'm being presumptive that this was addressed to me.

A "Conditions Boss" is the lieutenant, or captain, patrolling the district, responding with the units as required, and generally making sure all the crews are doing what they are supposed to be doing, and keeping them safe. The "boss" also is the first EMS officer to respond to assume command at any MCI, relieving the "senior" EMT or Paramedic from the first-in ambulance's command responsibilities at said MCI.

Note: our protocols call any incident that either has generated, or has potential to generate, 5 or more patients, as an MCI (Multiple Casualty Incident).

The station I run with, Station 47, runs 4 BLS, 1 ALS, and 1 ALS HazTec unit, under one lieutenant, splitting his or her time between "patrol" and "administrative" as needed. The radio designation would be "Conditions 47" from my station.

Optimally, there are 2 lieutenants on duty at all times, one on Patrol, one doing administrative duties, on each 8 hour tour, with the captain rotating a week on each tour.

Are the FF's still hiding the card for the cable from the EMT's/medics? Or does everyone get along at the station now? Does Brookhaven still have the 3rd floor bariatric unit? I used to go there often when I worked for Hunter back in the day.

Edited by 46Young

Fairly urban EMS here.

Worked BLS for Exceptional Medical Transportation in AC NJ, got my MICP, then worked Medic/SCT 1 in AC, transferred off critical care to MICU only, working Medic 6 in AC, 7 in Galloway Twp, and 8 in Somers Point, NJ. All are second or 3rd due ALS to the city.

A typical summer night brings 15-20 dispatches, usually 10 or so treats, the rest being recalls, unfounded or redirects.

I love working during the day/evening. Nights aren't so much fun since ACPD lost their K-9s to the MUTT of a mayor.

Of course, now I am on the ALS/BLS ambulance in the "country club" area of the county.

Grrrr.

Brookhaven still has the bariatric unit. The nurses station has Richard Simmons on the speed dialer.

For those who have no clue what I refer to, it is a facility where almost the entire 3rd floor's patient population weighs a minimum of 400 pounds each. When FDNY EMS responds to that floor, we usually run 1 BLS and 1 ALS, or 2 BLS, always assisted by a CFR-D (Certified First Responder-Defibrillator) engine company (usually E328 or 264), which accompanies us to the Saint John's Episcopal Hospital, roughly a quarter mile away.

Brookhaven still has the bariatric unit. The nurses station has Richard Simmons on the speed dialer.

For those who have no clue what I refer to, it is a facility where almost the entire 3rd floor's patient population weighs a minimum of 400 pounds each. When FDNY EMS responds to that floor, we usually run 1 BLS and 1 ALS, or 2 BLS, always assisted by a CFR-D (Certified First Responder-Defibrillator) engine company (usually E328 or 264), which accompanies us to the Saint John's Episcopal Hospital, roughly a quarter mile away.

Are the FF's at the station cool, or do they still give EMS the cold shoulder there? The whole thing seemed ridiculous to me.

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.