Ok Urban EMT's, Make yourself KNOWN!!!!

We run around 50,000 911 calls a year with 9 24 hour trucks and 3 12 hour peak load units. I have no idea how many transfers and non-emergent calls there are in the Parish. We have a private contractor cover those. I read recently we are the homicide capital per capita at the present per an FBI report. It might of changed but we sure seem to have the killings on a regular basis.

FDNY EMS Command, with the hospital based additions, and the subcontracted ambulance providers working for some of the hospitals as a part of the NYC 9-1-1 system, handle roughly one point three Million calls a year. I suspect that when the year 2009 ends, the new total will probably be closer to point four.

I still believe for "Braggin' Rights", NYC may still be the busiest 9-1-1 EMS response area in the US. I yield that London, England, might be busier, on the international side.

When I first started in municipal EMS in NYC in 1985, I signed on at 3 PM. If there were more than roughly 1,500 calls in the Computer Assisted Dispatch system, we'd had a busy day.

Nowadays, by 3 PM, we're already past 2,000 calls. I am unsure of the figures, but I believe we handle about 3,000 to 4,000 calls each 24 hours, with exceptional events, like the blackout, spiking the numbers upwards of these numbers.

I am of mixed thoughts of newbies coming into the FDNY EMS Command, talking of their home agencies being "busy", with 10 to 20 calls a week, as I don't know to pity them being eaten alive by the NYC call volume, or envy them their down time between calls back home.

• Like 1

I work in a very rural area, but my ambulance company covers 2,763 square miles and answers 5500 calls a year with seven 24 hour boxes (each at a different base). It actually used to be five companies, but they were all merged into a semi-hospital, semi-private organization. No shortage of calls, that's for sure.

Urban EMS Medic here!

Busiest 14hr shift-Halloween 08/Baseball team world series parade party...I think 26 or 28 runs

Busiest 12hr shift (sch change)-around labor day weekend 20 runs

50 ALS/BLS AM

35 ALS/BLS PM

Average "incidents" per day including 20% FD 700-900

My unit was 7th busiest last year and did 6,400 runs and were probaby going to break 7,000 this year.

• Like 1

FDNY EMS Command, with the hospital based additions, and the subcontracted ambulance providers working for some of the hospitals as a part of the NYC 9-1-1 system, handle roughly one point three Million calls a year. I suspect that when the year 2009 ends, the new total will probably be closer to point four.

I still believe for "Braggin' Rights", NYC may still be the busiest 9-1-1 EMS response area in the US. I yield that London, England, might be busier, on the international side.

When I first started in municipal EMS in NYC in 1985, I signed on at 3 PM. If there were more than roughly 1,500 calls in the Computer Assisted Dispatch system, we'd had a busy day.

Nowadays, by 3 PM, we're already past 2,000 calls. I am unsure of the figures, but I believe we handle about 3,000 to 4,000 calls each 24 hours, with exceptional events, like the blackout, spiking the numbers upwards of these numbers.

I am of mixed thoughts of newbies coming into the FDNY EMS Command, talking of their home agencies being "busy", with 10 to 20 calls a week, as I don't know to pity them being eaten alive by the NYC call volume, or envy them their down time between calls back home.

Just curious, how many jobs does the city actually do after adjusting for the "dupe jobs"? you know, the same job that comes in at two or more reported locations?

I was urban EMS in NYC 911 for the participating hospital NSLIJ. I ran BLS for three years on 46 Eddie mainly, along with 53 David/George/IDA/John, along with 54 George. I also did ALS for two years mainly on 46 Young, as well as 53 Y and 54 Y. I also worked 52X, 52W, 51V and 51W per diem for Flushing /Jamaica/Brookdale.

Fairfax County has a few small areas with urban flavor, but is mostly suburban with a few rural spots. I miss that grimy inner city environment. I'm considering applying for the Richmond Ambulance Authority, as my IFT job isn't all that challenging at all when compared with what I was doing on the IFT side of NSLIJ.

I was talking with my old partner today, who was telling me about a few shootings he worked, an arrest save on the street for an elderly lady who dropped dead while cleaning her yard, violent EDP's, and a few critical asthmatics and APE pts. I miss it. FxCo is boring in comparison. I enjoy helping people, even if it's only comfort care, but I need that adrenaline fix every now and then. I also hear that Chief Howie Sickles (am I spelling that right) was transferred out of Queens, where he would use any BS excuse to give us NOI's or 24 hour pt care restrictions for buffing jobs. I hear he's in Staten Island now. Miserable individual.

I think they weed out the "dupes" by computer, only taking into consideration the calls registered in the CAD as having gone "10-82" (FDNY EMS' 10-code for enroute to hospital), or a "DOA/Not Removed",canceled enroute (10-87) or an "Unfounded" (10-90). I think it remains one call (each), even if it's a combined BLS/ALS call, or an MCI (Multiple Casualty Incident).

I believe they can actually give you statistics for how each and every job that comes in has as it's disposition, broken down by day, week month, and year, and probably break it down by individual ambulance designation, too.

Chief Sickles (sp?) I believe is gone from Queens, not sure where he is though. He is still a miserable boss making life difficult for the crews who are trying to do the right by picking up jobs that are close to them. I saw him a few months ago on a midnight tour at a simple fire in mid-town. He buffed it. My partner was so upset when he found out Sickles was there that he said he would have slashed the tires and gone out of service mechanical rather than do the standby. And Sickles made everything hard too: changed vehicle staging twice, had us relocate where we were setup twice, trumped the division captain a few times. I really think he was f'ing with us. The best thing to happen was when the conditions boss sat down on the stair chair and said "He wants to do it all, he can. No need for me."

As far as the statistics go I've heard that all of the breakdowns that Richard mentioned are available but FDNY won't release it. Apparently the numbers without skewing and manipulating are quite scary and show considerable holes and flaws in the system. I do believe that on the slowest of days we are doing somewhere of around 3,000 patient contacts.

Richard, you might know the answer to this; do they still plan on implementing the universal call taker into EMS? If they do the chaos that will ensue is going to be wild.

1) While I have had my beefs with Howie, he did right by me when I got injured in front of him one time. He practically caught me as I fell.

2)I might know this "universal call taker" by a different name. Could you describe it, and then I'll attempt a comment.

Universal call taker or UCT - where PD takes the call and info and then forwards it to the "appropriate" agency. No more specialized call receiving operators. PD operators will do it all: first aid instructions, complaints, etc. The same system that suppression is currently using that they are having so many problems with: no info, bad addresses. A conditions boss I spoke with said that it was supposed to make its way to EMS this summer but so far it hasn't. Though I have noticed a delay in being dispatched from the time the call is entered to when we are dispatched. About 2-4 minutes and its not because of no unit available or units being preempted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.