Long Transport Times?

I have worked in rural areas before that were 30 - 60 minutes away and the nearest hospital was a small critical access hospital without Cardiopulmonary, CT, OB or Surgical Services. The next closest facility was a 90 plus bed facility which was over 50 miles away.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a fairly well equiped hospital here and our transport times can be as long as yours you mentioned. However we are 3 and a half to four hours from the nearest level one trauma center. and way out of helo range. only fixed wing and ground transports here

Here depending where you are in our district it could be 35min to 1 hour to the ER. 2+ hours to the closesed trauma center. Thank God for Airlift when we really have a big trauma.

We do have a local doctor that does repond when he is in town.

Stay safe. :lol::lol:B)

In this county, it depends on which side of the county you're on. We have 5 different amb sheds. Out of the shed I work out of, you don't even have time to put in an IV if you're in town. Next one out has about a 15 min drive. Then, 25 min. The third out from here gets to choose if they come here with the pt or go the other direction to the next county over. Last one has about 40 min into the next county or 45 min if the pt chooses to come here.

• 4 weeks later...

oops....so I was I was saying..Not only do we have long transport time to our local hospital but the hospital that we do have is very basic, so all our more serious patients have to be take to a trauma centre thats just under 2 hours away. If its clear day then we can air med evac which works out great if they can fly out.

• 2 months later...

I had the great opportunity to do some clinical ride time at a rural service. Boy, my eyes opened. I work at a level one trauma center and have had the opportunity to be blinded by comfort. I chose to due paramedic ride along time at a rural service, because I wanted the opportunity to use the skills I worked so hard for. You guys in rural ems are a unique breed. It is in my opinion that rural ems medics and emts are the best. You are not blinded by the comfort of having five to ten minute transport time. You gotta work for your dollars and that is what makes you the best. Keep up the good work!!! :)

• 1 month later...
Any of you guys have to deal with long trips to the local hospital?

We have a long haul, usually 20-45 minutes.

We have time to asses. Then re-asses. Then assess again. Taking vitals every 5. Etc. Etc.

Anybody else?

I work in the desert, if its not a local town call, its usually some dirt biker out in the middle of nowhere, or rollovers and such on the highway. If its critical, they generally get flown out, depending on weather (usually wind)

ed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.