Long Transport Times?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often does a second call come in when you guys are already tied up?

2-3 times a week, not including second calls that come in while we're still in town. sometimes we're able to get them to meet us on the highway to save some time. but sadly every year we have several people die while waiting for an ambulance.

holy crapola and your service hasn't been sued yet?

If I read right, the state of texas recommends a 2nd unit yet your powers that be haven't implemented this yet? Thats a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Average transport time is about 40 min. Faster for code red but about 40 is normal. We have the opportunity to call medevac and they are pretty good. We usually have time to chat with the Pt about their issue.

Ok, I just sent a private message to Ruff on yur rebuttles:

I am in the FTO program to credential up as a medic in my agency. I'm currently working under my EMT-B license until I credential, then it will switch over to my EMT-P license I obtained in Nov. I know it seems a little far fetched but, yes Ruff I have someone else in the back with me to assist in setting things up. The FTO trucks have a 3 man crew. So, maybe I should recanter and state that before I mislead you, sorry bout that. And again I dont continually do the 8 minutes, its just if I have to bc of short transport time, I can get it done. Majority of the time I'll have everything done by the time I get to the ER but its normally a 15 minute transport time. I needed to say that. But it was getting to be late as I'm on the last part of my 48. I know with my other posts I kind of blew myself out of the water with credability etc, so if you guys dont believe me thats fine. But I do want you guys to know that before I even went to medic school, I took a 12 lead course ( for CEU's) on interpreting them. I also went on and finished all of my classes but my core paramedic classes for my AS degree when I was an EMT. So recently when I went back to get my medic's I finished and earned my AS degree. So as an EMT-B I was able to read 12 leads(not by protocol). Our agency allows EMT-B's to start IV's and draw blood (by protocol), and now with our new protocol that was just released last month, EMT-B's can monitor saline locks or clear fluid (NS or LR) running KVO during transport. Given the medic does a full ALS assessment and deems the pt stable enough for the EMT to handle. If you guys would like a copy of the protocol if you dont believe me, let me know I'll be happy to send one to you. Now, I might be off the wall, as I am new to EMS (2 yrs as an EMT, 1 month as a Paramedic trainee).

So please take what I say at a grain of salt, just be aware I have been secluded to the world of EMS in Lee county, I have not worked anywhere else before so, the only system I know is what I have worked for. So if I sound pig headed let me know. Given that 6 our our 32 units are rural units, I'm switching there next month so I'll have to see if I get anything and have to haul ass to D1 with a priority 1 Trauma Alert, without helicopter support and about 45 minutes out.

BTW, I also apologize for taking offense to being called a "wham Bam medic" but thats just wrong, we are your borther's and sister's in EMS and just bc we get rid of our pt quicker doesn't mean you have to hate our guts.

Simply put, Rural and Urban EMS are two different worlds and until you have experienced both, there's nothing you can really prove.

I have so much trouble not responding to posts that concern the area I live in. Specifically Lee County, Fl. Kind of for the same reason that when the grass gets too tall in your own yard, you cut it.

BS, BS, BS, BS!!!!!

I won't go into the rant I planned because I have neither the energy or inclination to do it.

I have so much trouble not responding to posts that concern the area I live in. Specifically Lee County, Fl. Kind of for the same reason that when the grass gets too tall in your own yard, you cut it.

BS, BS, BS, BS!!!!!

I won't go into the rant I planned because I have neither the energy or inclination to do it.

C'mon Teddy! Fire away...Other than the obvious BS tone, I'd like to know what the BS specifics are....

Dwayne

holy crapola and your service hasn't been sued yet?

If I read right, the state of texas recommends a 2nd unit yet your powers that be haven't implemented this yet? Thats a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Notice said recommends. The state official gave verbal recommendation, but would not make it mandatory.

Dwayne, I guess it's not quite fair to call BS, then not define what you mean, But besides those already pointed out by others, there are other obvious holes in the story. For instance, stating doing assessment on scene, and then stating typing narrative enroute to hospital for the PCR. Of course assessments are done on scene. Starting with scene size-up, initial impression of patient, ABC's, secondary survey. But if you're typing on a computer in the back of the truck, you're quite literally abandoning your patient. Where's monitoring the patients condition - ongoing assessments, reassessments with every intervention. Even if it's just O2 administration? If you decide a patient needs O2, aren't you going to reassess that intervention, decide if it is adequate, what changes now present?

If you are running an ALS call with I.V, fluids, drugs, cardiac monitoring, etc., etc., and your transport time averages 15 minutes - how the hell are you going to type up your narrative and then just print it at the hospital? Even if you had all that in place prior to transport, if you are focusing your attention on a computer, you have abandoned your patient. I would stay busy continually monitoring the condition of my patient and the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of interventions, and any complications that might arise. But maybe I'm just too slow.

Beyond stating what has already been publicly printed, to call BS on anything else would just be mean-spirited, I think. I'm trying not to do that. I'm not mad when I cut my grass.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.