Can I do it?

ledzepp19

Hi, I have not started the emt course yet and I really want to. I wanted professional opinions on if I should even

start. It is something I really have my mind set on but, earlier tonight my sisters boyfriend told me 'I love the

idea but, I'm worried about the physical part of it'. The only reason he has to say this is because I walk with a

limp. I got in a car wreck a couple of years ago that left me with a noticable limp. I am stronger than most

females, and anytime there is anything tough to do at one of my jobs I'm the one that gets asked to lift

whatever is heavy. I think I can do it and I really want to but, maybe I'm really not physically capable. I have

talk to a couple of people about it and they're like 'if you are really wanting to do it, don't let anyone tell you

no'. I guess I just need to talk to the guidance counsaler at the tech school I'm going to go to and see what

she has to say. I just want some first hand advice, I don't know any emt/paramedics personally. Please and thank you!

• Like 1

I would skip the guidance counselor for this, maybe seek out an EMS agency in your area. A guidance counselor doesn't really know the innerworkings of EMS.

How is your stamina? Lifting is important, as well as squatting and maneuvering in small places.

I would definetely look into your options and make sure you are physically capable of doing the job before you invest time and money.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and good luck to you!

I know around my area (Ontario) there are agencies who have put together physical testing specific to paramedics. They are kinesthesiologists who have followed EMS around and have developed specific criterias and weights to test our capabilities before we start working. Maybe look into something like that?

Are you willing to let your sister's boyfriend make your decisions for you? Are you willing to let him plant the seed of doubt into your head? Are you willing to let him influence limits on what you can do or can't do?

Or are you going to stand up and do what you know you can do? Do what you believe you can do? Do what you want to do?

There are two questions you need to have answered:

1) Do *you* want to do this? (It's a yes/no question)

2) If the answer to number one is "yes", then what will it take to get it done?

Answer question number one honestly without feedback or input from anyone else. This is *your* unadulterated, uninfluenced by other people, unbiased answer regarding what *you* want.

Then, talking to others who already do the job to get an idea of what it is like is a good idea. Ask them good questions about what the job entails, what their day is like, what training is like... ask them anything *you* think is important for *you* to answer question number two. Then, if you decide you do want to pursue the training, go talk to the counselor at the tech school about what would be needed to sign up for the class.

Next, when all is said and done, come back here and tell us what you've decided. Ask us questions (including questions to help answer question number two I referenced above). We're here and most of us are happy to help.

Lastly, plus one for saying both please AND thank you!

edit thought/idea clarafication.

Edited by paramedicmike

What is your injury specifically? Why do you limp?

Why a tech school? Can you find a college based program instead?

And finally, yes, you can do it if you choose to. I've seen 300lb, 70 year old men doing this job. If you're less capable than they are then my guess would be that attitude is the problem and not injury.

Plus, if, by chance, you happen to be a 300lb lesbian, you are already half way there. A hot chick? Yeah, gonna be quite a bit harder...

Good luck, I'd love to know what you decide..

Dwayne

Plus, if, by chance, you happen to be a 300lb lesbian, you are already half way there. A hot chick? Yeah, gonna be quite a bit harder...

Dwayne, We don't need to scare her away.

Even though I'm not an EMT If your interested in becoming an EMT why not trying to go join a volunteer squad locally as a non emt. You would get a feel for what they do and see if you have what it takes to deal with all of the lifting and like. Anybody can say to do something/not to do something. The only way to find out is to go out and do it.

• Like 1

I echo Mike's statement as well as the one by curiosity. You didn't tell us where you are from but I'm sure that there are people here that are from where you are from that could offer personal guidance as to where to go to get the info on a agility test.

Why not call the local EMS agency and ask if they require a agility or pre-employment agility test. Then ask them who it's performed by. IF they say it's an outside agency then find out what that agency is and go to that agency asking them to run you through the test. You may have to pay to get tested though and that may be expensive.

OR OR OR OR OR OR I have a novel idea ------ why not just get your butt in a EMT class and screw the naysayers and negative nellies and just do it. What do you have to lose?

"why not just get your butt in a EMT class and screw the naysayers and negative nellies and just do it. What do you have to lose?"

Now that is one of the the best parts of this discussion I had read.

Dou really want to do this, it is your call.

You ever hear the expression "shoulda, woulda, coulda" Do't let it bite you in the tail end. Go for it and keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Dennis, you know had I have listened to all the naysayers in my life I would not be where I am today. I say screw them all. If you want something bad enough, just do it.

There are a bunch (millions) of unhappy people out there because they let someone else keep them from doing something that they really wanted to do. But they listened to the negativity and now they are pissed or unhappy doing something they don't like doing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.