96 y/o/f stroke

DwayneEMTP

This again goes back to pt capacity and it sounds like you did all the right things Dwayne. I hate to say, but sometimes, even the doctors don't get it, especially in circumstances where they don't have a lot of experience. Beiber brings up another point. The police could have been involved. "Hey Nurse Asshat, I'm calling the police down here to explain to you and the family what kidnapping, assault and battery are." Once it involves a police car sitting outside their facility they are usually pretty understanding.

A little different but a story from a few years ago that involves one of my PAs who also happens to be police auxillary. NH sends a pt to the hospital for whatever reason, is worked up and discharged. The pt is A&O/has capacity/etc. The pt is sent back by EMS but NH refuses to let pt in stating that they don't feel the pt should have been discharged. Puts up a big stink. The PA politely calls the charge nurse (this was at 1am) and explains that they can't refuse as the pt has paid for the bed/room and has no reason to be refused. They still refuse to let EMS bring the pt in. After a call to the state troopers, two units show up at the front doors and explain the situation and that if the pt is still refused allowed back in to his place of residence, they will be more than happy to arrest the charge nurse. With a smile on her face, she let the pt back into his room.