Massachusetts Paramedics, EMTs Learn Defensive Tactics

News

If we could get people to be at least as focused on not causing violence issues as they are on self defense, then I'd be completely onboard...

Unfortunately, the more prepared you make people to defend themselves, the less they feel the need to avoid conflict...ask any martial arts instructor. It's a huge reason that in most reputable martial arts the need to use violence, even in defense, is considered a spiritual and intellectual failure..

If we could get people to be at least as focused on not causing violence issues as they are on self defense, then I'd be completely onboard...

Unfortunately, the more prepared you make people to defend themselves, the less they feel the need to avoid conflict...ask any martial arts instructor. It's a huge reason that in most reputable martial arts the need to use violence, even in defense, is considered a spiritual and intellectual failure..

I don't know if the premise of being prepared predisposes a person to violent situations. I would think the opposite in many instances is true. When I have the possibility of lethal force, most arguments loose their importance. I would believe that the better trained, equipped and prepared one is, makes it all that easier to walk away from conflict.

This could stem from a non violent nature and be totally in the ditch but I hope not.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.