New Partner.

eCamp91

I've won a shift bid on a ALS car (I'm a EMT) my partner is obliviously a Paramedic. Haven't worked with him yet but his last two partners say the same.

How would I handling a partner who doesn't like to follow protocol, belittles you in front of patients/family, likes to hold over time on a call for no obvious reason besides being lazy.

I know I have to form my own opinion but I have been around this guy a few times to know that he thinks his sh!t doesn't stink.

The questions would seem to be why did you bid that shift knowing you would end up with him?

Since you have yet to work with him, how do you know what he does or doesn't do in regards to following protocol?

Stop listening to the shithouse gossip mill and form your own opinion once you spend some shifts working with him.

I have had the same partners, and I actually still know one that used to be my partner. You just need to block out his crap and realize you have a job to do and it's not really to worry about him. I would say if he's not following protocol stand up and do the correct thing, make him stop whatever he was doing ( really all depending on what was happening, can't say that will always work ) but when you know something wrong and you know you can fix it, do it.

That's why my old partner that I used to work with is still I suppose you could say "further down the ladder" and I am "higher up" than he currently is.

For instance if he has a patient with chest pain he won't put them on a monitor if his truck was less than 3 minutes out from the hospital. Just don't want his actions to make me look bad but if he looks bad I look bad by us being partners.

He has the attitude, "I'm the Medic on the truck! Do as I say.."

Island, I didn't until my bid was already in. I had a different shift in the bag before this one but his ex-partner before me wanted out and trumped me for that shift so I threw my bid in blindly. Eh, ALS Ill get experience with a lot more rescue.

But I was eager for a Full-Time position for the insurance.

His ex-partners have filed IR's about him but no discipline. He's had meeting with management but that's about it.

As I sit back and think about it I apologize for even making this topic. I should've formed my own opinion, who knows. Will give an update once I start with my partner.

Don't apologize for asking questions:

If you need the full time gig for the insurance , then go into this with your mouth shut and eyes & ears wide open. You might learn something and find out that the gossip is wrong.

Not to be blunt and to the point BUT: you are the new basic and he is the Paramedic. You haul gear & hold steering wheel , he treats patients. Just the facts of life.

again you are forming opinions based on shit house gossip without any first hand knowledge.

This really bothers me. I don't know your particular situation but it sounds like you are a basic who thinks he knows more than he does. Don't assume that you know protocols better than your paramedic does. The way that paramedics think and the way that basics think in some areas is very different. I have worked with basics who have criticized moves I've made without even being able to grasp the situation.

So, good luck to you. Stay positive. Don't judge the paramedic before you work with him. If you have a question about the way he does something wait until the call is over and politely ask. It is possible that he can explain his reasoning and you will understand.

• Like 1

I'll be the first to tell you I'm not one who thinks I know everything. I still see myself as learning everyday I go to work. I have not once thought I knew more than a Paramedic, I'm not a cocky person and I never intend on being that.

I don't know if the context of this topic came off as how I intended it to be. But everyone gave me knowledge I was hoping for.

How would I handling a partner who doesn't like to follow protocol, belittles you in front of patients/family, likes to hold over time on a call for no obvious reason besides being lazy

Not to keep at it, but do you even know what the chest pain protocol is for Paramedics in your system?

I've had calls where the basics kept telling me I needed to do this , & do that . When I inquired why, & explained what my assessment had determined, they got the deer in the headlights stare. They then had to tote all the ALS gear & IV box back out to the truck because I had the pt packaged and was ready to head to the hospital in my office where interventions can be performed while en-route to the hospital.

Kind of reminds me of a call many years ago where the first responders got to scene and found unresponsive, shallow breathing ,slow weak carotid pulse, so they started CPR and rescue breathing.

Now this was a known brittle diabetic that we have been to help many times.

Pulled up got a IV box and d-50 from truck & had to almost yell at them to stop abusing the poor pt.

2 minutes later Pt is sitting A+O & and asking why his chest hurts so much. :bonk:

many moons ago a wise old mentor once told me,

In EMS it's hard to realize how much we don't know about the human body or medicine!

he was a funeral director and one of the first dedicated ambulance owners in that area

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.