Would you take it?

Guest ~~~

I am generally uncomfortable taking culinary gratuities from patients but do it every time. In the culture I live in it would be considered belittling to the giver to not receive their gift. Often we are offered bananas, mangoes or what ever fruit is in season.

Water on a hot scene is not a problem. In fact I have asked for a drink on many occasions when It is needed and the on scene time is prolonged. If we are working rescues that extend beyond mealtimes, communities will often bring us lunch which must be received for the same reason mentioned above.

I have never abandoned my post to receive a gratuity and would frown on anyone who did.

• Like 1

Depends on the situation. If the cars where causing a major road hazard and/or blocking significant amounts of traffic then they should be moved ASAP. However from the photo you provided it looks like they're in rural area and that cars aren't causing a major obstruction to the roadway. As long as traffic is safely directed around the vehicle, then I don't see how the short break would be an issue.

Since it doesn't appear the wreckers are there to remove the vehicles and the FF's seem to have spread the kitty litter and done what needs to be done , pt's are packaged and transported. NO Problem at all.

Whats the big deal.

I think it is a very nice gesture for the neighbors to provide a cool drink and a snack for a job well done.

Are your panties in a bunch because you were not offered to partake?

Edited by island emt

Well I posted about this to ask for what other emt's think of taking food offered.

My personal opinion I think its a bit unprofessional. Which is hypocritical of me to say, i try not to.

I don't feel like its the crime of the century which I feel is what I think you are thinking of.

Edit: I also find the picture a bit humorous.

Edited by PattonEMT

Why do you feel it's unprofessional for them to accept the thanks for a well done job from the local citizens?

It's not like they were sitting having a picnic lunch while there were pt's to be treated or work that needed immediate attention.

Once the wreckers remove the derelict vehicles , then they can finish cleaning up the debris and go back in service.

I don't see the humor in the photo myself. Now if there were bodies lying around and waiting for coroner to arrive they decided to have a picnic lunch then maybe it would be a little wrong.

I don't see a problem with accepting food/drink from a bystander in a situation IF (1) things are safe for bystanders, (2) the scene is properly supervised, and (3) there is a time on scene where there is a wait time either for LEO to process the scene or for wreckers to get there to transport the vehicles.

You have to look at the service rules and, if the service allowes it, the situation.

I had a family give me a gift certificate for a local pizza resturant a few years ago after I transported the wife for higher level of care for possible cardiac problem. The card with it said that they wanted me to use the gift to take my family to dinner as this family's way of thanking them for sharing me with the community (we are a volunteer service). I took the card and gift certificate into the EMS director and asked him about it before I used it. His response was that it was a wonderful sentiment and to enjoy dinner out with my kids. It really touched me because I knew the family outside of EMS and they knew that I was going through a divorce and couldn't afford to take my kids out to dinner because of my financial situation at that time.

Why do you feel it's unprofessional for them to accept the thanks for a well done job from the local citizens?

It's not like they were sitting having a picnic lunch while there were pt's to be treated or work that needed immediate attention.

Once the wreckers remove the derelict vehicles , then they can finish cleaning up the debris and go back in service.

I don't see the humor in the photo myself. Now if there were bodies lying around and waiting for coroner to arrive they decided to have a picnic lunch then maybe it would be a little wrong.

-- That's why we have our own opinions, isn't it? I just find it unprofessional because first responders are supposed to look professional, not standing on the sideline eating. So what if there was nothing for them to be doing? They still have an image to hold. But that's just my opinion. Any more criticism?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.