Dinosaur just waiting for the asteroid

Hi everyone,

I've been having fun here in the city. Nice to see experience interacting with the next generation. I started in EMS in 1980. We used an early, early manual prototype version of the GPS called the Thomas Map Book. "Recalculating."

I spent over 20 years having a blast on ambulances, 8 years Medic on a ship in Alaska's Bering Sea, worked trauma surgery as a Surgical Technologist, harvested organs, skin, bone from beating heart cadavers, (Organ donors save lives!) BLS instructor, also taught maritime emergency medicine, CERT & Medical Reserve Corps volunteer and last year I published the EMS/Medical humor ebook, "Emergency Laughter." Check it out if you get a chance.

If you've read it and was offended....You're taking life way too seriously.

Any writers out there trying to get published, give me a shout.

Thanks everyone, it's an honor to be amongst highly trained, skilled, slightly crazy, medical professionals.

Mike Cyra

• Like 3

Mike,

Experience interacting with the New generation?!? You mean old geezers putting up with young whippersnappers and upstarts perhaps! It is really neat to be able to interact with "experience" minus the fear of being treated as dumb and in the ditch as I feel.

You have had an interesting run at EMS to say the least. For me as a relatively new EMT, I find it a honor and frankly, pretty cool, to be able to interact with seasoned providers. I am glad you found us.

Pretty much everything you have done are areas that I have at least thought about as possibilities in the future. Well, I have never thought about working the Bering sea, except for when I am watching "The Deadliest Catch" and get that 10 foot tall and bullet proof feeling

In a lot of ways EMTCity forms a sense of community beyond the casual internet chat room or forum. Many of the members know each other personally and a lot of us interact outside of the forum. I think you will enjoy the forum. I know I do.

Welcome

• Like 2

1980??!! Yer just a young pup. No worries though. We old grizzled vets will try to take it easy on ya.

The closest I've come to the Bering sea is to watch it on TV. You look to have had a very interesting Career.

I look forward to reading more about your experiences on the forums.

• Like 2

Hey DFIB, Arctickat,

I was trying to be polite with the whole experience next gen thing. I thought of a bunch of newbie tags, but I thought, "No, I can't say that. Not on the howdy doodie first couple of posts page." Hell it took me twenty minutes to think of the polite version.

There's no better teacher than experience. But I remember feeling dumb and in the ditch way bac....no, that was yesterday. Never mind.

All the places you see on Deadliest Catch, that was our stomping grounds. The Coast Guard up there...big respect! Bar none, some of the best in the world. Semper Paratus.

Nice to be here Gentlemen, thank you for the warm welcome. See you around town.

Mike

Welcome to the city from a really old timer. {started back in 71] The group here has a lot of different exposure to prehospital care from all over the world. Some are working in the ghettos of big cities and others are in places that are so rural as to be called desolate .

Come on in and pull up a chair.

• Like 1

Damn!!!! I am looking forward to hearing from you here in the City.. I will Check out the book. Welcome!

Edit) Any chance of a hardcopy edition? Don't have a Kindle yet!

Edited by emtdennis
  • Like 1

As above Brother, good to have you.

And thanks for participating! We can use another old timer here. Us youngsters sometimes have a hard time keeping our morals and vlaues straight..

Too often those with something to sell make a trite post or two to try and avoid being deleted as spam and then disappear. I too look forward to checking out your book and I hope it's making you millions. Not that you'd need it, being a paramedic and all...

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.