Dispatched to 555 Chest Pain Dr.

DFIB

You look at your watch and it is 23:50 hrs. You just finished stocking your ambulance when tones drop. You are dispatched to a “possible heart attack” at 555 Chest pain drive. Your crew consists of: you as the proctoring medic, your partner Joe an AEMT, and an EMT-B that you can’t remember his name. He has just wandered around the Ambulance like he was lost since he arrived anyway, despite your efforts to get him involved in checking equipment and stocking the rig.

Ladder 51 is also dispatched with one Lieutenant and three FF/EMT-Bs. A private company from across town is in route as well but will arrive approximately 4 minutes after your estimated time of arrival.

You turn onto chest pain drive and into what you know to be a predominately white, working middle to low income neighborhood. It is quiet tonight. There are no people out.

You arrive at a small frame house sitting on a double lot. Other than the hedges needing to be trimmed the yard is neat and recently mowed. There is an American flag hanging from the eve of the house on a short flagpole and a truck with a lift in the driveway. The truck has a “Semper Fi” sticker in the window and a “You voted for Obama? Thanks a lot A** Ho*e bumper sticker. There is a handicapped indicator hanging from the rear view mirror as well as on the license plate.

A dog barks in the distance …

How do you clear the scene because I have a worst case scenario going thru my head right now.

A handicapped Iraq war veteran who is suffering from PTSD and depression. Pissed off at his govt. for abandoning him after he's down, getting inadequate health care and followup. Probably pissed off at the army medic who had to do a field amputation of his legs. Right now he is sitting in a wheelchair with a high powered rifle...or a shotgun pointed at the door just waiting for the first knock to pull the trigger.

Edit:

Oh...and boobytraps, lots of boobytraps.

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

If the scene is safe, attempt to locate the patient...

What do you find? Conscious? Alert? Oriented?

Position of patient? Complaint?

Vitals?

That should get us started...

I am gonna move slowly through the scenario because I think it will be more fun. We will have the answers to these questions in time.

How do you clear the scene because I have a worst case scenario going thru my head right now.

A handicapped Iraq war veteran who is suffering from PTSD and depression. Pissed off at his govt. for abandoning him after he's down, getting inadequate health care and followup. Probably pissed off at the army medic who had to do a field amputation of his legs. Right now he is sitting in a wheelchair with a high powered rifle...or a shotgun pointed at the door just waiting for the first knock to pull the trigger.

Edit:

Oh...and boobytraps, lots of boobytraps.

I don't know? How would we clear the scene?

Edited by DFIB

Police Dept goes in first. Scene safety, you don't know where the dog barking is coming from. Could be a neighbor's dog.

• Like 1

Edit. Changed my mind. I am going to wait a little to post. (As I devilishly laugh and rub my hands together.)

Edited by DFIB

And now my post doesn't make much sense without DFIB's.

Sorry, man, But this just seems like is going to be fun.

I gotta run an errand but will post when I get back.