Feeling Overwhelmed...

CBR600RR

Also remember that even if the EMT course was 3 years long, there is no school that can teach you everything you need to know for the rest of your career; you have to get experience and continue to learn along the way. Even if they taught you everything, and you absorbed everything in 2012-2013, you will need to learn something in different in 2015. Just because the EMT class is a diploma mill does not mean that is the only education you are limited to.

• Like 1

And you will never, ever, ever feel like you're prepared to start clinicals.

So let that go and don't worry about it any more until the time comes. New career, new crew, new environment, unknown responsibilities...It's scary as hell. If you're lucky you will get with a crew that remembers that and they'll kill all of those fears in about the first 15 minutes..

+1, when I took my medic training everything I learned was a jumble in my head that didn't fall into place until my clinical rotations. Then I was like...wow...so that's what it looks like when I do this stuff.

• Like 1

The truth of the matter is your classroom is just that - a classroom. It is not your "real" education. Books are to get you through tests.

Don't get me wrong, the classroom is vital but it is nothing to stress about. Everything begins to make sense at the end of class, once you start going on calls it will make a lot more sense.

I remember my A&P portion and it was hell for students literally. We covered A&P and Patho in 1 day. Wasn't a fun class.

You will notice something though, the same terms you see in A&P will also appear in later chapters. It will click.

Pay attention, do your best and get through the class. Open your eyes and ears and learn as much as you can. Just because you leave class doesn't mean your education ends. Learn from everyone you encounter.

If I can get through it so can you.

• Like 2

Great thread with great advice. The only thing I have to add is that I agree with others saying you should do clinicals. That may help you realize that other college courses may help you to better interact with people. English is a good idea as well as a medical terminology and A&P. With clinicals you will better understand the job itself, that's something that just can't be taught in a classroom.

At my basic course the paramedics that taught us all talked about their "saves" and bad calls. I was completely unprepared for all the hand holding I'd have to do until clinicals start. For me, I have more calls that dictate the use of people skills rather than EMS skills.

• Like 1

Dude, you have to settle down. First stop with the feeling sorry for yourself crap. It's a waste of time, it's a waste of energy. Time and energy you can use more constructively.

No one learns A&P in a couple months. Embrace your fear, embrace the challenge. Turn your fear into thirst, a thirst for learning.

Talk to your instructor, make some flash cards for yourself, start a study group, see if you can get in on a couple of autopsies. I guarantee you won't forget the anatomy.Why? Because it's fascinating.

Everyone was scared at some point in their early days. Worried, scared, sweating bullets. I'd be more worried about you if you DIDN"T feet that way.

Re-read the advice given above. It's good advice!

Slow down, focus.

Keep us advised.

• Like 1

Welcome to the city CBR600. Stay tuned there is a lot to learn here.

Wow! What a terrific attitude you have! I'd like to box it up and feed it to my students. From your willingness to listen to what people are saying to you, to your recognition of your weaknesses, you demonstrate that you have the qualities to become good at this. I stipulate to what has already been said. We aren't only EMTs. We are social workers, psychiatrists, strategists and depending on the day and the hat we are wearing, a lot of other things. We are the eyes and ears of the doc and in rural areas like mine, we see things no one else will see. Our interpretation of what we have observed may make an enormous difference in not only the outcome of our patient's current problem, but sometimes in everything that comes after. The experience you gain in learning about all aspects of life is what enables you to be good at making sense of that observation of the scene and patient as only you will ever see them. Study, learn everything about all that you can and then apply it. Good luck and I'd love to have you in northern New Mexico.

Edited by Cougar
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.