Introcan Safety 3 IV caths

croaker260

We may not be talking about the exact same device but it looks very similar. I briefly rode on a service once where the flash chamber did not have a cap but er could punch the back with a pen and get a drop of blood for the D-stick. If this one has a cap then I am thinking of a different model.

On the attached image, the red circle surrounds the area that can be removed from the chamber.

I know what he means by that Artikcat. We used to use a long IV cathalon, think they were called jelcos,

ooooh, that takes me waaaay back. I remember when they were the hot new thing. I never had much problem with the Introcan, less than I thought I would. One just has to be sure that the forefinger advances the cath beyond the tip of the trocar to engage the safety mechanism rather than pull the cath out.

post-21792-0-08415200-1348617558_thumb.g

Edited by Arctickat

I've heard that a lot of people are having trouble with the Braun Introcan Safety caths since they made the switch... I'm glad that we are learning with them instead of having to transition to them after using the Protect IVs.

I think that I'm challenged in some way where EMS gear is concerned...

I have no idea who makes our ambulance, what kind of chassy it has, what brand of caths we use...I just recently discovered that my monitor doesn't do 12 leads...

How do you guys know all of this stuff? Or does it come from staying at the same service for a long time?

I tend to grab a cath, tear it open and say, "Ah, it's that kind...". In case it's not obvious, in no way is this rant supposed to be trying to show me in a superior light...I've just never paid attention to such things, and maybe I should?

.I've just never paid attention to such things, and maybe I should?

Meh, why bother. You're in a situation that mandates that you use what you get. It's not really like you get a choice in the matter now is it?

I think that I'm challenged in some way where EMS gear is concerned...

I have no idea who makes our ambulance, what kind of chassy it has, what brand of caths we use...I just recently discovered that my monitor doesn't do 12 leads...

How do you guys know all of this stuff? Or does it come from staying at the same service for a long time?

I tend to grab a cath, tear it open and say, "Ah, it's that kind...". In case it's not obvious, in no way is this rant supposed to be trying to show me in a superior light...I've just never paid attention to such things, and maybe I should?

Well, I fall at the other end of the spectrum. From an early point in my adult career I have always been fascinated with the specifications of the equipment. This was reinforced by my time in the military. "Know thy equipment" had always been one of my commandments.

I can still recall that the 1911 is a "recoil operated, magizine fed, semi automatic pistol, caliber 45".

I cant tell you how many times knowing some little obscure fact about the gear has helped me to improvise a solution in a pinch. Same with pharmacology, etc.

Probably why I am picked to do these damn research projects so often.

Anyway, thats my 0.02

We use the protect IV's. I think they're great and have never had the "bury to the hub" issue mentioned above.

We switched to a similiar Braun IV for a few months but went back to the Protect IV's. The Brauns felt dull going in, (more force to pierce skin and vein, Pt's complained more of pain), were a lot messier in that they didn't block blood flow until you were ready to set up the lock/line, and even after a few months the majority of medics were missing easy IV's.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't just me that found them messier! Anyone I talked to or saw start an IV had the same issue. I don't know if the cathlons weren't as pliable, but it seemed near impossible to start an IV without a little blood spilling out. I have never had the issue with any other brands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.