LP 15 without 12 Lead capabilities?

DwayneEMTP

So yesterday a patient comes into the main Komo clinic as I'm passing through. It has doctors and nurses and such so I have only emergent responsibilities. He complains of chest pain and they decide to do a 12 lead using their Life Pak 15 monitor. I'm just sort of hovering when I hear one doctor explain to another that to get a 12lead you need to go to each lead and print it separately and then compare them. That there is a way to print three leads at a time, he says, but he can't remember how.

I butt in and say, “No doc, this will do a 12 lead, just hit the 12lead button.” He argues, so I push on, to make my point.....but there is no 12 lead button. I have them keep the patient in place while I search the entire monitor, as if the 12lead button my have somehow been placed back by the batteries...but there isn't one. I keep the patient in place longer still while I Google the issue, but the only reference that I can find is the instruction to “Push the 12 Lead Button.” No reference for a unit without 12 lead capabilities. There just isn't a button where the button belongs.

This completely blew my mind. How is it possible that a company that makes such sophisticated equipment would create one of their machines without 12 lead capabilities in this day and age? There are all of the appropriate 12 lead cables, you can view and print each lead individually (or in threes if you bring up three leads, the max, on the screen) but you can't run a 12 lead?

Has anyone run into this before?

You don't need 12-lead capabilities for a hospital based machine on a code cart. 12-leads are done using dedicated EKG machines in hospital which have markedly better diagnostic quality.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

You don't need 12-lead capabilities for a hospital based machine on a code cart. 12-leads are done using dedicated EKG machines in hospital which have markedly better diagnostic quality.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

That might be the answer- I know there was a variant of the LP12 without 12-lead, as well as the Corpuls.

Didn`t knew they did that with the LP15 too. I used an LP15 for nearly a year with my old company, and it was a nice machine, good menu handling and all (although I can`t remember where the 12-lead button was - didn`t you have to open a new menu for the 12-lead and then there was a button "Print"?).

Edited by Vorenus

Yup, definitely possible. As Vorenus mentioned, there's a variant of the LP12 that was not 12 lead capable and typically AED. I have no doubt that there is a model of LP15 that is not 12 lead capable either. It's substantially less costly than the 12/15 lead enabled machines. WHen the LP12 first came out IIRC the 12 lead was a $12,000.00 option.

Edit:

Did the doc at least hand you a towel to wipe the egg from your face? ;)

Edited by Arctickat
  • Like 1

Dude, after al the time you have spent Mordor and other less advantaged parts of the world I am surprised that you are surprised. Most companies have a third world version of a good thing that will get the job done only cheaper. Even Ford Motor companies makes models to ship to other countries that don't have the same features as the ones you can buy in the US. I see people watch poor reception TV off a 6 foot dish, on a 13 in TV, while they drink urine temperature Coke and dodge the leaks from their thatched roof. There is always a cheaper model to sell someone.

I don't know a lot about 12 lead machines but know that companies do it with just about everything else.

I bet they used those metal suction cups that leave hickeys all over the patient as well. Then again I might be surprised. :whistle:

Everything above 4 lead and AED is an option.

You would think thats crazy, but reality is there are services that don't want to spend the money and as you found out hospitals and clinics.

When i bought our Zoll we had 4 lead, nibp, AED & manual defib, pacing, and a choice between endtidal monitoring or 12 lead. Both were 5 grand upgrades. At the time 12 leads weren't in fashion , so I went with the end tidal capability. We could use that and did.

Have since upgraded to add in the 12 lead option.

Now a new LP15 or new Zoll goes for 30k plus loaded out with the options.

I bet they used those metal suction cups that leave hickeys all over the patient as well. Then again I might be surprised. :whistle:

For inhouse diagnostic quality, hospitals and clinics will usually spend extra on a separate machine with advanced filtering and sensitivities which can have multiple uses such as linking to their stress testing or treadmill equipment and utilize a wireless connection for easy uploading to their database. A physcian can then immediately view the ECG on a computer screen with a more sophisticated imaging software. It can then be stored as well as sent to an awaiting cath lab or referral center. No need to spend an extra $10k each on a dozen portable monitors used on crash carts or inhouse transports. Those who take diagnostics seriously inhouse may view portable ECGs as a lesser quality product but understand their value in field or some out of hospital transport situations.

• Like 1

Must have been manufactured in Pacific Southwest :shifty: The just put there 10 fingers spread across the chest and cross there toes and interpret what they feel.........just a joke guys.

Hey, do I hear sarcasm in that... that specific technique always worked for me!

:bonk:

Now a new LP15 or new Zoll goes for 30k plus loaded out with the options.

That's a bargain. When I bought my LP12 10 years ago it was all decked out with 12 lead, trending, NIBP, etCO2, SPO2, modem, pacing, AED, and more. The only things on the list it didn't have were the orange/black display and the two invasive monitoring channels.

$42,672.29

Edited by Arctickat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.