Most of you know I am a 22 year medic. Its been a long time since I have been a combat medic (1995 was when I ETS'ed) but when I was, I ran across an amazing bit of equipment from a British SAS medic TTY'ed over at my post. I was instantly hooked. I am talking about my Big Shears ( www.bigshears.com and no I dont get any $$ or kick back). Yes, they arnt as cheap as the 2 dollar trauma shears you see all over the place. But they arnt supposed to be. (Common now, most of you guys pay 200 dollars for a pair of sunglasses, but you wont pay 60 dollars for something that actually works?) Anyway, I digress...

Now Ive been a civilian medic ever since. As soon as I could find these on line...I bought a pair. They are one of my favorite pieces of equipment and I use them every shift pretty much. . I've had my current set for going on 8 years, and they FAR surpass any other shear or other gizmo out there. I cut football gear, snow gear, motorcycle leathers, and heavy canvas rigging with ease.

There is only one down side....the holsters suck, These scissors are just too big for horrizontal back carry ... also these things are a bit heavy for pocket carry. If you have a "rig" when you go the range, or if you are in the sand box, the holster they come with junt work well there anyway....

So... I wanted to share a bit of kit I had made, and I also wanted to give a shout out to the makers of said kit. I just wanted to give a big shout out to Raven concealment (http://www.ravenconcealment.com ) for putting together an affordable Kydex Holster for my Big Shears that is lighter, more versatile, and actually slimmer. If you decide to buy a shear holster from Raven Concealment, you may need to reference my order, it was Order ID: 42202 I dont get one penny of kick back. I just think these things rock!

I know there are other users of big shears out there...I hope this helps you too.

-Croaker

P.S. Pics attached. Also, I have adjusted the wear of my holster actually a little farther back than in the picture, for comfort and balance with the huge radios we carry at work.

I will add that the only thing I had to do to this set was add a bit of lock tite to the paddle screws.

post-8843-0-32817100-1347250211_thumb.jp

post-8843-0-46674700-1347250218_thumb.jp

Edited by croaker260

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.