Designing an Automatic CPR Machine

Isos

Cleaning and desinfection issues should be addressed as well unless it's an one-way product. And I don't mean just to define it as one-way only because you are not able to address cleaning/desinfction properly. That's a problem with the Autopulse (the strap is defined one-way and rather expensive!) and the LUCAS2: several straps and the knapsack case simply are not really gettng clean (same is valid for the straps on stretchers/spineboards - THAT would be a real innovation).

That looks kinda antique, like the old lucas being air powered, interesting in that it appears to include a fixed rate vent as well.

According to research from the Heart and Stroke Association of Canada, as well as the American Heart Association shows that the reason automatic CPR machine actually decrease survivability rates (out of hospital discharge) is that people spend to much time putting them on instead of providing good quality manual CPR. In the designs of the Suretech above I would be very worried about the amount of time required to attach that device. Also where would you fit that in an ambulance?

Yeah, but can you imagine being the kid that showed up to the toboggan hill with that? BTW, it is antique, it's from the '80s, when you had to get your pants changed three times a day. ;)

Edit

Correction, I just checked your profile. You weren't even a gleam in your mother's eye yet when these things were around.

When did I get soooo old.

:blink:

Edited by Arctickat

• 3 months later...

OK, since when did anything from the 80's become "antique?" I was trained to use that thing when I worked in Hawaii in the early 80's. I don't recall any crew ever putting the "Thumper" on a real patient. Everything had to be perfect for it to work right. One loose strap, a slip here, a wrong movement there and that piston would take off across the manikins chest or stomp it's way up the trachea. It was scary! It was like something you'd see on that show "Wipeout."

I think the engineers should us the humanoid looking robots that already exist. Instead of walking up and down stairs and dancing, program them to do compressions. Use lasers or sensors to size up the patient and compute depth of compressions and watch em go! They can auto correct for proper placement and even play the BEE GEE's Stayin Alive over a speaker so little kids and baby boomers don't freak out.

Keep the little guys in old post office boxes on busy streets. When activated they bust out of the box and zero in on the lucky MI "Make a hole, emergency, coming through!" "Whether you're a mother or whether you're a brother, you're staying alive...stayin alive!"

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.