Is It Time To Change The Siren's Sound......

Make the damn thing sound more threatening, I just don't know how. Maybe the sound of a locomotive about to climb up someone's rear end would do it.

People have just gotten so used to sound of a siren, that they just tune it out, especially in metro areas.

We generally alternate the sounds as we are getting close to an intersection or traffic (depending on the call).

A new sound might cause more people to hear it, but would also come with a new, likely years long, learning curve as to what it is and what it means...

There is not doubt that a new system is needed. Though I've gotten as frustrated as anyone by people's apparent unwillingness to give way, I'm also continuously shocked when in my POV at how long it takes me to figure out where the siren is coming from when I hear it. Often times I have no idea until I can see the emergency vehicle entering the intersection.

But, for now, it's what we've got.

Sirens are next to useless these days. With cars soundproofed so much better, windows rolled up, air conditioning/heater on, radio on, there isn't a change in the world you can make to have a siren work better.

20 years ago I came up with an idea and with technology these days it would be a reasonably simple addition to factory OEM systems.

My thought 20 years ago was to have a transmitter in the emergency vehicle with 2 power settings. Low power for urban environments, high power for highway speeds. Cars would have a radio receiver that would have a light on the dash like the seatbelt light and a chime. If the ambulance is running l&s the receiver would get the signal and illuminate the dash light with the chime to alert the driver that there is an emergency vehicle nearby.

My latest evolution of this product provides for the ability to provide directional guidance with a voice. The antenna can determine the direction the signal is coming from and a voice advisory would come through the radio system "There is an emergency vehicle approaching from your left." for example.

The only issue is that the Auto manufacturers didn't want to go to the expense of adding this safety system to their vehicles.

• Like 3

Great idea Artic, but I had it first, in 1997.

Anywho, we can both take credit.

But if the NTSB or whatever agency dictates it then automakers would have to put it in, just like seat belts, but the court cases to keep it out would last for years so it won't happen any time soon. But the proactive automakers would make it optional.

But the current siren is here to stay. Sorry to say it but there isn't anything that is going to take it's place in the next 20 years. Just isn't going to happen.

But seriously, how much time do we really save in using lights and sirens anyway in getting to the scene of an emergency? a minute or two?

Weve beaten the dead horse of transporting lights and sirens but have we really addressed the responding emergency to scenes horse yet on this forum?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.