Trip to Mexico :)

Happiness

I got married at the Bahia Principe Tulum. It is still my favorite resort, although the Rui Varadero in Cuba was a close second.

The Riu Palace in the Rivera Maya is top notch. Tulum is very, very cool.

I had taken a couple of pics of the kid in the back of ambulance and let him see one. His eyes went wide and he quietly said to us "if you can find out the jail they are in, I can make sure that someone pays them a visit and teach them what it is truely like in a mexican jail" Of course I declined but WOW what a thing to be told and he didn't even ask for money.

He was most likely not bluffing. He would have eventually gotten around to the money part.

Edited by DFIB

I have nothing against (and I dont want this to sound like I condoned this) a fight amoungst boys, but my boys were taught when the other person is down the fight stops, and in this case it didn't the guys just kept going as my husband said "I truely think that guy was trying to kill him"

This is not to condone violence, either, but you need to teach your boys (if they didn't learn this already) that there's a difference between knowing when the fight is over because the other guy goes down and knowing that once the other guy goes down there is a need to keep it up so the other guy stays down.

Because in this case your husband may have been right.

There are a lot of exceptionally valuable lessons here for your kids. Glad they're ok.

Defib there was no protective gear worn. The ambulance was from Playa Del Carmen and from what I saw it looks like a poor area. The club was on the resort and they did have a tape of the incident. The quality was so poor that unless you knew who was who there is no way you could pick people out. Also they never stopped the strobe lights so it also empeded on the quality. The best piece of advise was from the night manager and he said get ahold of your embassy. That was done right away and they were right on the ball. Trust me when I say we do know how lucky we are to be back in Canada. One of the other contributing factors in their arrest, i think anyways is that the Brits never settled down. Infront of the police they continued to try and egg on my sons and call them out. We all just sat there quietly (with the exception of the gf wigging out) and watched the performance. The other thing that may have been a contributing factor is the boy is a Haida Indian. If you look that up you will see a resemblance to mexicans. Many times the indians in the group were mistaken for Mayan or Mexican. And while you seem to have alot of knowledge of the ambulances there I would like to look into trying to send our expired (which means everything) down to a place that could use it. I do know that it sounds funny to send expired items but here in Canada we have so much waste that could be used in other countries. I have sent things to Africa in the past with people who were going there for other business and it was always appreciated. This would have to go through a process of some sort now as the policies here have changed.

Mike my boys all grew up in a community where fighting is an acceptable way to settle a dispute. Normally in the end the participants will shake hands and carry on (that is a boy thing because the girls will carry it on). I have tried to teach them walking away once is very important and if the other person carried on then they are to protect themselves. They have been taught how to fight and my youngest also participated in Kick boxing with me. I have taught them, that if you kick someone when they are down and out they are in the wrong (which is what happened in this case) but if the other person gets up aggressivly they knock them down again. They also never help the person up as this is a way the other person can get the upper hand. One of the lessons my boys have learned in life is this "When you fight you take the chance of killing someone and is that worth changing your life forever" This comes from their cousin being in a fight about 10 years ago where he hit the other guy in the one spot on the temple and the guy died instantly. He was then attacked by a cracked up guy with a knife and slashed in the back where his spinal cord was severed and is in a wheel chair now. But in the end I think they know the difference between getting them down and having to keep them down.

It was a trip to say the least but we are okay, lessons learned and no one came home in a box.

The problem with Medical stuff is that if you mail it the health department takes a peek. Meds are definitely out but sterile equipment that are past their date can be "pack ratted" in. It is kind of weird because Mexico on one hand wants to act like they are first world with regulations and such, while on the other hand they have a all of the third worlds deficiencies in areas like EMS. I wear a helmet because I purchased my own. Most of the guys have not made that investment. I know of a lot of very poor services that can use a lot of help. For example; a FD that does not have a stretcher for their ambulance. They transport people on the floor or bench. Many EMT's purchase their own pulse ox and other equipment as well.

Give me a chance to talk to some people and I will PM you. It will take about a week but I know we are very interested in your proposal.

You did the right thing in reaching your embassy. The embassies are really good at helping grease the wheels. Many disputes are handled the way you saw, including MVCs. Once everyone has been payed, if there are no charges filed, then everyone gets to go home.

Do you remember the name on the side of the ambulance or the hospitals? It would be interesting to know what level of care your insurance was willing to pay for or if they used social facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Well isn't a life of kicks in the head..................

The young man had been admitted into ICU with renal failure. They are unsure of what the cause is but say it might be from the meds he has been on. We can only wait and see and hope for the best, and hope this is a situation of you have to get worse before you get better.

Now I guess here is another late lesson learned. At the time the family went to court to try and get these two neanderthol's out of mexican jail they should have googled their names and they would have found out that these two had just been convicted in Britin for the same behaviour in a pub. One recieved community service and the one that actually did the damage spent 29 weeks in jail. It is a bit frustrating now knowing that they are back in Britian and there is nothing that can be done. But I guess that is the nature of life lessons.

• 3 weeks later...