Non US citizen looking to become a EMT-P

annakrat

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me, I am a EMT-B in Iceland and I want to become a paramedic and they don't offer that in Iceland. It looks like where ever I look I always hit a wall, most common is that I have to become a EMT-B again and I need to be an american citizen.

If anyone knows a school or program for me that would be great :D

BR Anna

Annakrat,

First of all welcome to these boards, you could not have come to a better source of discussions and insight from the many posters here.

To be honest with you, I don't know how to answer your question, but I am sure you will get a response soon from some of the really great folks here.

Why do you have to be an american citizen to become an EMT-B, or did I misunderstand something there?

Some schools don't allow international students. I sure hope to find some answers here cause I really want to become a paramedic and I would prefer to do it in the Us, but I'm starting to look at other countries as well like the UK or something closer like Norway :D

I worked with a guy from the UK who was not a US citizen and he was a paramedic. I don't believe you have to be a US citizen. I suspect that precedence would be given to those who are US citizens and then if any class openings were still available then you could get in the class.

I have a friend who is an instuctor and I'll ask him if he would take you as a student in his next class.

Shoot me a PM. He's a great instructor and you'd get some really good hands on classroom work. the class would be a rural based class though so you would have to be ok with staying in middle missouri for 5 months or so.

If you are interested in that sort of arrangement I could almost guarantee you a slot in his next class.

What say you, If you are interested, pm me and we can go from there.

There are some paramedics in Iceland but to training they just offer EMT-B and I :S

Captain: I don't know what pm-ing is :S But living in the middle of nowhere is really no problem. If he will take me and I would get a full paramedic license then I am happy :D Only thing I have to be in Iceland at least until new years due to work and my search and rescue team :D

Just to clarify just some schools I have been in contact with don't take international students, but the ones that do tell me that I need to do the EMT- basic program again, and that will add at least a half year to my studies and a lot more money.

Are the paramedics in Iceland US trained? Or are they trained elsewhere?

The good Captain's offer not withstanding, I'd be hesitant to recommend a US based paramedic education. Unless you can get into a bachelor's degree awarding program, and even then it can be sketchy, the level of education you'll receive is something that doesn't translate well to other countries. Obviously, you'll know the particulars of your system in Iceland and if they'll accept a US paramedic education. But if anything that has been posted here by our international members is a guide US paramedic education won't count for much of anything in any other country.

If Iceland is ok with US paramedic training and you don't plan to go anywhere else with it then go for it. Take Captain up on his offer. Also look at degree awarding programs (UMBC for example), and go from there. I think you'll find better success with an established college or university than you will with most non-degree awarding programs.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that. Most of the Icelandic paramedics went to the US to study, and I think Iceland accepts education from most countries. I don't plan on working anywhere else then in Iceland except maybe in the US cause I have family there.

There is more help here on this site than me browsing by my self, I am now much closer to my goal than I was a week ago so thank you all for your help :D

And please if anyone has some ideas or knows something better then do not hesitate to leave a comment, even if it's about programs in other countries than the US

I think if I could go anywhere for EMS education I'd look very closely at Australia. Everything I've read about them, and everything I've gleaned from our Australian members, has pointed to a well constructed, thorough education process.

If Iceland will accept a US program, though, in combination with having family in the States, it wouldn't necessarily hurt you to try here.

Keep us posted.

Edited by paramedicmike

• 2 weeks later...

University of Pittsburgh has a GREAT Emergency Medicine Bachelor's degree. You can focus in Critical Care, Management or Education. They will get you your EMT and your EMT-P, and a B.S. degree. Plus you get to work in some of the best hospitals in the U.S.

I would imagine that the program could not ethically shun non-US citizens (it's YOUR money anyways).

You are taught by some of the best physicians as well.

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.