This video breaks my heart

DFIB

If beating him to with in an inch of death, was the only way to subdue him. I'd say... they need better training, and training in how to deal with the mentally ill. Around here, the police handle the el nutz o very differently than the average person they're arresting. They stand back and watch the ambulance people take care of it. :mad: They will NOT transport ANY person that is suicidal, even if they're just thinking about it.. or any person that they're called to with a history of mental illness. Then they fight you over following behind in case the patient decides to try and kill the crew.

And what is it with cops and beating people, wouldn't it be less paperwork to just shoot them?

WOW So there is just so much wrong with group it is truely unbelievable. I have to admit at the beginng I was fence sitting on who's side I was on. I wonder what made the video guy thinking when he started filming, bet he didn't think it would end the way it did.

The Robert Dziekanski case in Vancouver in Canada is the equivalant to this. When the police authorities are given so much power in any society there will always be these stories.

It is so sad that these horrible incidents hit the internet and show case these bad officers, I would like to once in awhile see videos of cops doing the good things they do hit the media but then again it isnt as exciting now is it.

The whole thing is just sad and reading the comments was just as pathetic.

• 3 months later...

I might be able to see some side of this from the cops point of view if it hadn't been so completely obvious from the beginning that the one cop was doing everything in his power to create a violent confrontation...

Everything about this is disgusting...how, as a father, do you live the rest of your life after listening to your son crying for you to save him while he's being unjustly beaten to death?

I might be able to see some side of this from the cops point of view if it hadn't been so completely obvious from the beginning that the one cop was doing everything in his power to create a violent confrontation...

Everything about this is disgusting...how, as a father, do you live the rest of your life after listening to your son crying for you to save him while he's being unjustly beaten to death?

I have no relation with anyone in the case but for some reason it haunts me. Probably for the reason you have stated.

• Like 1

You know what DFIB, me too. This has stuck in my head and bothers me a lot. I've even kind of gone past being pissed at the cops to just being really sad that such a thing is possible.

Maybe it strikes a cord as a father...him screaming for his dad to save him...and being the father of an autistic child, trying not to imagine these animals doing the same to my boy....whatever it is there is a different, emotionally bruising energy to this situation...

So often it appears to me that the force used is punitive with the police continuing to scream "Stop resisting!" over and over to justify a bunch of pissed off, violent hehavior, when in fact most of the subjects movements seem not aggressive, but an attempt to defend themselves against the continued strikes.

When I watch the cop near the end, sitting on the top of the pile, the victims's (Because he really is a victim at this point, no longer, if he ever was, a threat.) arms and legs pinned, hitting him over and over on his defenseless head and face with his Maglight I just want to blow his frigging head off...

I have pondered this and think that this incident is so disturbing because it is against our very nature.

I cannot speak for everyone in EMS, but at least the ones of us who survive in the business are by nature or practice healers and protectors. Protectors to those that cannot help themselves. We do it day in and day out. We help the sick, the injured, the rich, poor, indigent, young and old. We are our patients advocate. We will put more than we reasonably should on the line to defend our patient and see that they have at least a chance.

What I observe in the video gives me a sense of impotence, sadness and anger because I see someone that should be a protector becoming an animalistic aggressor. It takes my thoughts into those dark areas of my soul that I pray to God never come to the light.

It disturbs me because it goes against the very nature of my existance.

It disturbs me because I have a son.

It disturbs me because had it been my son, the cowards that did this would be safer in jail.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

John Barnett, contended that the officers were acting within the scope

of their duties when they tried to detain Thomas and that the transient –

who had schizophrenic tendencies -- caused the melee when he "defiantly

disobeyed" a lawful order.

So the bit where he said "these fist are going to fuck you up" was a lawful order? Or the bit then thomas gets scared and he pulls his baton out?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.