suspended license?

elkins

What part of CA do you live in? If you live down around Los Angeles county there are a lot of opportunities for a non driver on transport companies (read non-911) that are run by little mom and pop companies. While this does not have all of the excitment of the 911 lights and siren go fast buttons, it does give you a great opportunity to sharpen your skills. I for one am better at taking vitals than I ever was in school becuase of these transport calls that I spent many a time on. Look at that as an oppurtunity to hone your skils and develope into a better BLS provider before taking the next step and moving on through a solid curriculum of college courses and a good medic program that won't take you from zero to hero in no time flat. If you have any questions keep posting some of are from the "Great State of CA" and would be more than willing to help you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the confusion. My EMT license was never revoked. After I got the Dui my Driver's license was immediately suspended for a year. It has been reinstated for a year now, I got my driver's license back... While here on my deployment my EMT license expired. But there is an exception for Active Duty military members, and once I get off active duty (Dec 2012) I can take a refresher course that will allow me to reinstate my EMT license (So i've been told)

I do not live in California anymore, I live in New York but will be moving somewhere else (my husband is also army and will be staying in).

So what I am gathering is that it is not impossible to work in EMS however it is hard to come by a job willing to hire and won't be the glorified hands on job... That is FINE with me. I want to get as close as I can.

I really appreciate the feedback, this has been a difficult and confusing road for me! :)

• Like 1

Everyone's rules will be a little bit different. You're already on the right road. You are being open about what happened and you are establishing a credible work history. Don't give up on EMS until you make some phone calls. Just take it one step at a time. Call the state and tell them you are an active duty soldier returning from duty and you have a previous dui (give the date). Find out the process to get your license in order.

Each employer and job opportunity will look at your dui differently depending on a bunch of different factors from insurance to existing policy to personal preferences and their need to hire. Starting with an ER tech or event medical job is a good idea. (Actually there are a ton of non-ambulance opportunities.) Then approach employers with your solid work history and honorable service since your dui event. Be willing to talk openly about your dui. What happened, what you learned and what it has meant in your life.

If you can do any kind of community service involving alcohol, drug or dui education, that would look very good on your resume. It's also nice to be able to talk about your previous dui from the standpoint of an awareness /educator who learned from the experience. If you hold your head high and move in the direction of your goals, I bet someone will give you a break.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.